clamp on manual downrigger

skipnjoe

Cadet
I'm looking at getting a manual clamp on downrigger.What is a good make and model. thinking about the big john runabout.( use on a canoe and rental boats) Any advice folks!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: clamp on manual downrigger

I prefer the Big Jon's myself, but everyone has their favorites. As far as portability, I would look around for a used (eBay) Luhr-Jensen and have a bracket made or adapted. The Luhr-Jensen weighs almost nothing and works really well, but they are not made anymore.

But a good plug-and-play solution is the Big Jon.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I would stay away from the L/J model, I had two of them, handed down new in the box from my dad. They held up OK for about a year, then the plastic started to break and the metal rods bent. There are better models out there for what you want to do.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

There is one up for bids right now on Ebay (ends May 9th) if this is the model mark is alluding to.....

Yep that's the one. Newer and nicer looking than mine- not a bad price either.

I suggested it because it weighs very little and is convenient with cranks on both sides. It is not a clamp-on. However, a creative guy good with tools or who has a welder for aluminum could fabricate a clamp mount pretty quick.

The key to longevity on plastic parts is keeping them out of the sun except when your are fishing, followed by not using them hard. My 2cents :)

LoweRider

Seaman Apprentice

That one on E-Bay sounds perfect for any of us here.....the description says it has a few screws missing!!!! :D

"Luhr Jensen The King Downrigger. In very good condition. A few screws missing."

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I repeat, they are junk, get something better.

Expidia

Commander

That one on E-Bay sounds perfect for any of us here.....the description says it has a few screws missing!!!! :D

"Luhr Jensen The King Downrigger. In very good condition. A few screws missing."

I think it's the seller that has a few screws missing :D. Why wouldn't you just replace the missing screws before you list an item for sale :confused: Does not sound like he took good care of it. I'd pass on it.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I can't see what screws are missing, unless he means mounting screws? Looks clean and in nice shape to me. But then again, apparently I am used to catching fish on junk.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have 2 Penn, 2 Scotty and 1 Lake System downrigger, I also had 2 of these Lure Jenson models.

The spool the wire wraps around splits in the middle, the crank handles are held on with small split pins, these pins fail and the handle isn't connected to spool when this happens, I carried a bunch of small nails for backup. There is no clutch, the stop just wedges into the spool, it sort of works, but can't be adjusted and when its needed it contributes to the spool splitting. The rods its made from are too small and start to bend, so after a while you need to switch sides of the boat so they start to bend back the other direction. The depth counters stop working after a short time. This all happened in about a year and a half, the Lake System D/R is about 20 years old, the Penns are about 15 and the Scottys are 5, I've had no problems with any of these.

In my part of the world almost every boat has downriggers and the L/J models are very rare, in fact you can go for years and never see them on a boat, the L/J units were even made here too.