oil issue on 90HP Merc (leak)?

twista

Cadet
it was completly serviced (1995 3 cyl. merc 90hp 2 stroke)and then winterized ie. flushed ,, fogged,, and fuel stabilized,, NOW,, after two outings with a total of maybe an hour run time,, im noticing a film on the lower unit coming from the water intake hole where the ear muffs go on,, the boat does need a o ring for the oil resevior, as it leaks from the cap if i over fill it,,,, but it didnt seem to be 2 stroke oil,, it was a thicker slime,, my question is ,, is this normal after coming out of hibernation,, where does whatever it is travel from to get to the muff holes,, or do you think an internal seal is gone? thanx to any who help me... what is my next step to trouble shooting this problem?

jerry place

Cadet
Re: oil issue on 90HP Merc (leak)?

just had the same problem on my merc 100 2 stroke. turned out to be the shafts seals under the water pump housing.

twista

Cadet

did you check the lower gear oil first and if so what did it look like?,, mine looks fine ,, not milky at all ??????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Twista, Smell the slime. if it stinks, it is gear oil and you have a leak, likely the waterpump base driveshaft seal or oring.