Gear lube leak?

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice
I've just had the shift cable replaced on my 2001 Alpha 1 Gen 2 sterndrive (got the work done professionally) as it was jammed. I took the boat out for about 1 hour after the work was done to test it. Everything works fine, except when I went down to the boat today there was a small pool of gear lube oil sitting underneath the outdrive. Looks like it has come out of the gear housing water drain holes on the sides of the outdrive, just above the cavitation plate. The gear lube monitor has dropped from full to just above the bottom level - I know it was full before because I topped it up after the work was done.

This doesn't look right to me - anyone got any comments/suggestions before I talk to the mechanics about it?

Thanks

Tony

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Gear lube leak?

Personally I can't see how the shift cable job could cause a driveoil leak from where you say it is leaking.
You said you know there is a leak because you had to fill the bottle before taking the boat out, and the level dropped. The fact that you had to fill the bottle makes me think you probably had the leak before your cable was replaced.
Personally, I think this repair is yours...Sorry.

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I topped it up after the shift cable was changed - the reservoir was full before they replaced the cable, dropped to about half way after they replaced it and then dropped to almost at the lower mark after an hours use (after I re-filled the reservoir).

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Either way you need to pressure test the drive. Up in the adult sticky is a post that tells you how to do it. I also doubt that they caused the leak if all they did was a shift boot. But maybe? Only thing I can think of is they put a gen one gaske on the outdrive instead of a gen 2 with the hole for the monitor pick up?

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Your thinking somehow if it has the wrong gasket the drive lube monitor might be leaking? One other thing I noticed is the speedo isn't working after they replaced the cable - any chance thats related?

I was thinking about pressure testing the outdrive. There is a guy selling drive pressure testers on ebay, cheaper to buy one of those than pay for an hours labour checking to see if there is a problem.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

I doubt they used a gen 1 gskt, you'd have to cut a hole in it. Also the oil would leak where the drive is attached.

You need to pressure test as mentioned. The drive must come off to pressure test properly. Another place to look is the hose that goes to the bell hsg from the transom hsg, although I'd not expect oil coming from where you say if it was this.

You have to remember that things sometimes just start to leak. Just because it was at a shop when it happened does not make it there fault. Don't be surprised if this has nothing to do with the shift cable r&r.

James

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Speedo is probably just the hose didn't get hooked back up when the drive was re-installed. Most likely not related to the oil leak.

James

Bondo

Staff member

Personally, I think this repair is yours...Sorry.

Ayuh,... I see an unfortunate coincidence,.... Probably the shift shaft seal....