Gear Fluid is Milk and Won't Shift into Neutral

jcntsk

Cadet
Had to get towed in Sat. after a good day catching due to my shifter getting stuck in forward. It would not start in gear. Once I got home I drained the lower unit to find it is the color of milk. This was new fluid for just prior to this trip I drained and changed the old fluid. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lindy46

Captain
Re: Gear Fluid is Milk and Won't Shift into Neutral

What motor and year? You definitely have a bad seal in the lower unit allowing water to get in.

jcntsk

Cadet

Sorry I meant ot put that small bit of information. 1975 70Hp

bhughes

Seaman

So the motor won't shift into neutral? Does it move forward?

If it won't move forward, it's probably a worn clutchdog. Is is a manual shifter or electric?

jcntsk

Cadet

It will move forward as though accelerating but it will not disengage out of forward into neutral. Excuse my ignorance but it has a shift box that I must manually move the shifter forward. Now if this is a manual as oposed to a electric then that is what I have. I will also add that the prop at this point does move freely if turned by hand.

bhughes

Seaman

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why did you have to get towed in if it ran okay in forward gear?

I guess that's manual. I just mean if it's electric, than if there was something broken with that then it wouldn't shift right, but if you move it manually, than I don't know why it wouldn't go into gear unless the shift shaft came loose somewhere?

jcntsk

Cadet

The engine at the time had stopped while it was in forward, so when I went to put it into neutral to start is when I realized it would not shift back into neutral. This is why I had to get towed in.

To add a bit of humor the boat that towed me in was of course much newer and nicer and had a huge FOR SALE sign that impressed by two sons to say "Hey dad get a hint!"

jcntsk

Cadet

I was pretty sure I had seal issues, but never having had to deal with this can anyone point me in the right direction and should that direction be the local mechanic.

Now, does this in some way have anything to do with why it will not shift back into neutral?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If it's electric, you'll have push button shifters on the control box. A manual will have a lever. if the lever moves back and forth freely and it stays in forward, then your shift rod has come loose in the motor leg. It's an easy fix and you can be back in business within minutes with a screw driver and a small socket set.
The smaller motors have an obround plate on the side of the motor leg about 2 inches long to access the shift rod coupler and the larger motors, the shift rod unhooks right under the carb. From what I see on your model, the shift rod connects to the shifter under the carb, on the base of the powerhead.:cool:

jcntsk

Cadet

Thanks sir I do recall seeing what resembles a rocker arm of sorts under the Carbs. I will tackle the seal issue as well. Good thing the wind is blowing too hard this week. I really could use some more grilled redfish! Thanks!!!

bhughes

Seaman

Hey, I just got a boat recently and fixed up a 1958 18hp, so I'm going to try to catch some of those redfish myself next weekend. Do you have some tips I can use like what type of bait do you usually use, and where do you look for them (shallow marshes, inlets, jetties). Any help or tips is appreciated b/c before this I've only fished off piers and docks with dead shrimp.

thanks, good luck with gettiing back out there. On my 18 hp, I had to replace the lower unit b/c its gears were messed up. I got one off ebay for $100 and it only took like 15 minutes to replace it.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty sure this is an electric shift but without the push buttons. If it has the same style of control box as mine then the switch is inside and is activated by the throttle, rather then buttons. If it is electric, even with a push button setup then there's a lot of possibilities of what is happening.

I doubt it's going to be the gear lube, however the seals should be changed because milky oil will only lead to trouble anyways.

I would seriously start in the control box to begin with to fix the stuck in forward situation. Confirmation of electric shift would be nice (although I'm suspecting it is). With electric shift, it always defaults to forward so it sounds like there are some power issues. I hope you have a service manual for that motor.

jcntsk

Cadet

I presume it is electric then, but I'm not clear as to what you mean when you say "Power Issues." I have already ordered a seal set to take care of that issue. I figured after 35 years I too need a new seal or two.

jcntsk

Cadet

Hey, I just got a boat recently and fixed up a 1958 18hp, so I'm going to try to catch some of those redfish myself next weekend. Do you have some tips I can use like what type of bait do you usually use, and where do you look for them (shallow marshes, inlets, jetties). Any help or tips is appreciated b/c before this I've only fished off piers and docks with dead shrimp.

thanks, good luck with gettiing back out there. On my 18 hp, I had to replace the lower unit b/c its gears were messed up. I got one off ebay for $100 and it only took like 15 minutes to replace it.

Basically i use the ole carolina rig and dead shrimp. I work it very slow but fast enough to keep crabs off it, but that all depends on how active they are. I try to find any sort of moving water around points and bends in marshy areas. The other tactic is to keep moving for they are. Follow the bait fish or shrimp hitting the top. Good Luck!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I presume it is electric then, but I'm not clear as to what you mean when you say "Power Issues." I have already ordered a seal set to take care of that issue. I figured after 35 years I too need a new seal or two.

If it's an electric shift then you have two electric solenoids in your lower unit that control the shifting. It works based on no power to both - power to one - power to both to control the shift. If the right voltage isn't sent to the solenoids (ie. no voltage on either) then it won't shift properly. Because it defaults to forward gear when there is a problem then there is a voltage (power) issue somewhere in the system that you need to hunt down. This is why I mentioned the manual for that motor as it'll explain how it all works and how to troubleshoot.

jcntsk

Cadet

Great lead and yes I do have a manual and will begin looking as soon as I get home. If I had water due to faulty seals that inturn would lead to corrosion and possibly a short in the electrical current. Beat trying to find and pay for a lower unit. THANKS CPO

jcntsk

Cadet

Good news. I disconnected the linkage from the cable to the power unit and I was able to, at the engine manually shift it from forward to neutral to reverse then back to neutral so I figure my problem is in the cable itself or further up in the shifter box/unit.

I also have the issue of water in the gear fluid. How hard is it to change the seals and will it be obvious as to which ones are bad?

On the lighter side being from South Louisiana I guess I need to start taking it easier on Gator Fans. Thanks!