Performance intake question.

I have a century with a mercruiser 228 and want to replace the 4bbl and intake. I want to move to an edelbrock 600cfm and a performance intake. Can I use a car intake or do I have to have a marine intake? This is the first I/O I have owned.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Performance intake question.

I know of no reason that you couldn't use the intake. If all of the ports and passages are in alignment, MECHANICALLY it should work. I am contemplating throwing an old edelbrock performer on my 351w.

MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE AN AUTOMOBILE CARB!!!

Just do a google on marine carbs and you will see many safety reasons. Check out J tubes. Anyway just always use a marine carb.

WizeOne

Commander

After market intakes are made of aluminum. If you operate in only freshwater you'll be ok. Do not use one in saltwater. Also very important, pay particular attention to the intake specs that you choose. They will give you an rpm range that they operate effectively in. Beyond that, there are no Marine vs Automotive manifolds

You want one that performs from idle up to between 5-6000 rpm. Many will not even be effective until you reach 1500 rpm but are good into the upper rpm ranges that your marine motor will never see. Those will make your motor fall flat on it's face in the lower rpms that you need the power the most.

Bondo

Staff member

You want one that performs from idle up to between 5-6000 rpm.

Ayuh,... For an ancient 305,... Idle to 4800rpms might be more appropriate....:rolleyes: :D

I think the Edlebrock Performer is Idle to 5000rpms,+ that's a Great Choice....;)

I will be using the boat in saltwater. Will the saltwater react with the alum. intake? I plan on flushing the motor after every trip. I was looking at the Brodix HP1 intake but it is Alum. Another opt. would be a cast iron intake from CFM Tech. Right now I have a Merc. 4bbl intake with a Quadrajet. but it is 27 yrs old. Still runs fine.

Bondo

Staff member

Right now I have a Merc. 4bbl intake with a Quadrajet.

Ayuh,... A slightly newer vintage of That is what you Want....
It's Cast Iron,... The pre-96 Vortec design used a Merc/ Weber AFB carb, Exactly like the Edlebrock performer series....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

definately stick with an iron intake, unless you want to drop a fortune getting a lined aluminum one.