First time firing her up this season and.......

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Put all the plugs back in her, reconnected the hose on the right side of engine, the one that blocks your view from seeing the oil filter, put the water hose to her to fire her up. I wanted to warm her up before changing the oil.
Well, on the second cranking cycle she fires up and is running smoothly as always. So now I get out of the boat and look for water circulation coming from the motor. Usually it takes a minute or two for it to come out the exhaust. Well I shut her down after 5 minutes of running with no water coming out where it's suppose to be coming out. I don't recall it ever taking that long to start the flow. In the mean time, the engine didn't get hot at all, like everything was normal. Right now I got her draining the oil and tomorrow I will put on the new filters and try her again.
Am I just getting old and the engine needs more time to get the water circulating after I pretty much drained her last fall?
I had the impeller changed the spring of 07 and was hoping to get one more year out of it.
Any thoughts?:redface:

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: First time firing her up this season and.......

Sounds like you need an impeller. I change mine every year as a part of my annual maintanence. but running it that long without water flow if it wasn't bad before it is now.

Bondo

Staff member

I had the impeller changed the spring of 07 and was hoping to get one more year out of it.

Ayuh,.... Try it,... But, I change mine Annually....
5 minutes sounds like a Long time, even with a dry block...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Ayuh,.... Try it,... But, I change mine Annually....
5 minutes sounds like a Long time, even with a dry block...

Agreed, it should only take 20-30 seconds max to fill the block and start flowing out the transom. now you need to look at all of the rubber parts in the exhaust and teh shutters in the top of the y-pipe. They really don't like hot exhaust without any water to cool them.

haulnazz15

Captain

Even with a bad impeller, you would think that the water pressure from a hose would be enough to bypass the impeller and fill the block. He can always open one of the petcocks to see if the risers filled with water.

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The water pressure from the hose is not enough to make it all the way to the block.. At least not with standard muffs.

You sure you hooked the hoses back up right? Disconnect the one coming from the outdrive and see if water is flowing up into the boat.

You should be getting some water up, even if the impeller is partially toasted. If you don't get any water, you likely have a restriction in the line (broken impeller pieces).

Pierutrus

Ok, got the filters changed, oil back in her and pulled the hose that was recommended be pulled (without the muffs on and sitting overnight).
Water came gushing out. So evidently it's getting water up the leg into the boat. I also pulled one of the plastic petcocks on one of the riser's to see if any water was there and all I got was a faint hint of a drop.
Am contemplating on giving it one more shot before disassembly/ taking in to shop.

Waiting nervously for reply's. :redface:

Pierutrus

Ok, just went out and pulled the other plastic petcock on the other riser and water did come out of that side. Will go and pull that hose again, this time with the muffs on and water flowing to see how much flow I get without the boat running.:redface:

cooter2506

you wont get much with engine off. Try removing hose from outdrive to engine on the engine side and have someone start engine and see if you have flow. If you do you might have a blockage neer the t-stat housing or ps cooler.

Pierutrus

you wont get much with engine off.

And that's exactly what I got, nothing.:mad:
So the engine has to be running to get past the impeller?
You would think it would just flow thru it from the pressure of the hose/muffs.:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

So the engine has to be running to get past the impeller?
You would think it would just flow thru it from the pressure of the hose/muffs

Ayuh,.. I don't believe that it's physically possible for both the pump's Input,+ Output ports to be Open at the same time....

Pierutrus

All right Bond-O,
Will give it a try!:redface: