Honda Cold Starting

360Ginger

Recruit
I have a 2005 75hp Honda, It is the coldest starting Engine I have ever used or had, Is this typical for Honda Engines? If not is there any thing can be done to fix this problem, Sort of getting a Yahama engine.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda Cold Starting

360Ginger-
Hondas are noted for starting with a just few pulls/cranks. If your's is hard to start look for causes like throttle position, choke, fuel bulb, and ignition. (Remember with 10% ethanol in the gas, water does collect easily and they don't run on water. A water separator/filter is a must). Follow the start up procedure in your owners book and it should fire right up.
BTW; My friends Yamaha starts hard if you don't follow the correct starting procedure. My old 1997 9.9 4 stroke Honda starts (cold) with two pulls every time when I follow the start procedure. About a quarter pull when warmed up. Only when cold it takes a few seconds to feather the choke and then it idles like a Swiss watch.
Your dealer may be able to help you find the "fly in the ointment" if you've checked all that out and it still doesn't run for you. Good luck!

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 30hp honda starts right up but needs about 2-3 minutes to warm up before you can leave the dock at anything less than 1/2 throttle. after that it runs just fine.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

What remote control mount do you have? If it is a standard side mount Honda control choke and throttle advance will be controled by the warm up/choke lever,but if you have a binnicle or side mount control you will need to manually advance that throttle and choke this unit with the toggle or keyswitch depending on your setup.These engines jump to life quickly,so if yours do'es not somethings wrong.