Rebuild or What?

I have a 1985 175hp Evenrude Crossflow with a bad powerhead. I don't know what is the better way to go. Should I spend 3000.00 to rebuild or just try to replace the powerhead at 2000.00? This is my fourth try to get a good running motor in 6 years. If I blow this try, my wife or my boat is going. I also looked at a used Evenrude 1995 175 with 90lb compression on all cylinders isn't this a low compression for this engine. What to do? Mike

Re: Rebuild or What?

theoutboarddoctor.com. I have talked to them via phone. I know 2 excellant boat mechanics in my area, Indianapolis, In. $3k for rebuild sounds ballpark, I am facing that very issue myself. $2k for powerhead is too high imo. Good luck.

jonesg

Admiral

This forum is to help boaters who would attempt stripping an engine down, having the machine shop do the precision work then we assemble it all.
Theres not much to a 2 stroke compared to 4 strokes.

It would probably cost less than $1000, depends on what the damage is, pull the heads, take pics and post them.
I mean what can you harm at this point?

iwombat

Captain

90psi on all cylinders? Sounds like a decent powerhead to me. Verify the numbers and go check it out!

Benny1963

Lieutenant

bought one off ebay last year to run while i was building mine 175 crossflow
had 95 and 90 across my new powerhead was finished 6 months ago
but the one i bought off ebay runs to damn good to pull it off i pulled inspection covers before i bought to check for scoreing and also ran comps myself,i paid 400 for it its been almost two years and i wont take it off for the new one. looking for mid or blown crossflow for it ,by the way
it cost me 1300 in parts and machine work,thats with new upper and lower bearings pistons boreing rings gaskets complete i ran pro marine stuff
but dont know if its good stuff or not because i havent run it but lots of people use um pm me if ya need some x flow stuff got crank and 5 good 030
pistons motor was fresh when it leaned out one cyl still had 85 lbs on bad cyl
but i knew it was hurt