NADA Bluebook vs Asking Price

Stromzilla

Seaman Apprentice
A boat shop in Michigan has a 1989 90hp Evinrude and a 1990 90hp Johnson for sale, both at $3695.00 each. Couldn't resist making a call to find out if they gold plated the lower unit but really just wanted to know what the deal was...rebuilt lower, rebuilt engine, etc. His answer was both engines had the standard seasonal prep last fall and they both come with a 1 season warranty, and that's it. I reminded him that the blue-value is approximately $400/each, both are basically 20 year old motors, and for a few thousand more I could buy a new outboard with a multi-year warranty, along with the fact that he was asking approximately 823.75% more than the blue-value. He did seem a bit surprised when I told him the bluebook value from NADA. What's going on here? Is NADA something I should quit looking at? When I looked up outboards in Craigslist, the asking price was usually higher than NADA but far more inline with reality than the $3695 asking price. What gives? I'm about to purchase a 1979 Glastron CVX-16 with a 1979 115 Evinrude and I just want to go into this with eyes wide-open.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: PLEASE help me understand

Book values are 100% useless. Value is determined by local market conditions and the perceived value by both the seller and the potential purchaser.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was surprised to find that you are correct: NADA has it in the $400 range. NADA is WAY DEFINITELY incorrect with this one. (Maybe $400 for an 8HP of that year) In reality, you could with luck maybe find one in the $1000 range. Their $3+K price? Insane. I would LOVE to find a 1990 90HP JohnyRude for $400.

BTW, what was the price for the 1979 Glastron CVX-16 with a 1979 115 Evinrude?

Jim

Stromzilla

Seaman Apprentice

I was surprised to find that you are correct: NADA has it in the $400 range. NADA is WAY DEFINITELY incorrect with this one. (Maybe $400 for an 8HP of that year) In reality, you could with luck maybe find one in the $1000 range. Their $3+K price? Insane. I would LOVE to find a 1990 90HP JohnyRude for $400.

BTW, what was the price for the 1979 Glastron CVX-16 with a 1979 115 Evinrude?

Jim

Jim,
I'm still working on the deal. This Saturday I'm gonna give it a thorough going over, especially the transom area. I also plan to run the motor and pull a compression check on all 4 cylinders. I was told the compression should ring in at no less than 100psi. Since you asked though I will get back with you on how it works out. BTW, what would you think this rig in average condition should go for? David.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

thats the price.....I was looking for a while for 70-90 hp engines...most shops that warranteed the used motors wanted 2500 and up...and many 15 +year old engines were being sold for $3500...... I bought two motors that needed work for under $1000 each....but it is nice to buy a turn key motor with a back up warranty as insurance...you cant touch a 90 hp for under $6000 unless it is a demo..and even then it has no accessories or prop.

I know I have seen a few internet adds listing some leftover yamaha 90s for $5500 or so.....but something is fishy about those deals.

bob

capt sam

Not around here, those are $1500 motors max if they're perfect.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Would a motor that was used primarily in saltwater sell for less than one used in only in fresh water ?

jdlough

Bob J,

I guess we live in different areas, but around here (MD) you could EASILY find a 90hp 1990's Johnson on a crappy boat, with trailer, for under $3k. (Apparently, in Florida, the same thing would cost you $18 and a 6-pack) So, I guess it depends on where you live.

Strom -

I'm guessing the dealer decided it was in perfect shape, or maybe did a complete rebuild - or at least a tune-up/overhaul. If he fixed it up nice it wouldn't take up much of his space. (As opposed to a full crappy boat + good motor). He could just put it up on his motor rack, and wait for the guy who needed it. Still, even if it's perfect, it's WAY too overpriced.

Stromzilla

Seaman Apprentice

In browsing through Craigslist I saw many asking prices in the $3,000 range and they were all 2000MY and newer. Nothing even close to $3695.00 for a 20 year old outboard. I even found a 2000MY 200hp Evinrude for $3,000. How about a 2006 90hp Evinrude E-tec for $4500? Who the heck would want a $3700 1989 antique when $800 more could put you into a like-new E-tec? BTW, the 2006 E-tec blue-value is $5,000 for average retail, and $4500 for low-end retail...go figure.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here's a few upper midwest prices"

94 Johnson 175 = $4000
89 Johnson 150 = $3000
88 Merc 90 = 2000
90 Mariner 100 $2500

The guy is high but not outrageous considering a rebuilt Power Head on one and rebuilt lower on the other.

jdlough

Re: NADA Bluebook vs Asking Price

Strom,

I know right now is boat buying Frenzy, but,

You are right. You have researched and seen the prices the local Dealer's are charging, so you don't need us to tell you what's up. Dealers MAY have a good deal on a boat, but NEVER on just a motor. DEALERS WANT TO KEEP A GOOD MOTOR IN RESERVE TO MAKE A SALE. (Motor's take up less space in the dealer's shop, and if need be, then they could just put a good motor on one of their boat's to boost the boat's saleability) So, forget about getting a good deal on only a motor from a dealer - they have their own agenda to keep a good motor.

While the frenzy is on, while studying craigslist, you may discern that many people hate their boats (for whatever reason), but have nothing against their motors. Craigslist is goofy. You may find some 1971 TriHullCrapBoat, set up fer crabbing, new floore, Galv homemade trailor no title, 99' 90HP Johnson OB, tilt/trim hook ups, $2,100 OBO. Will thro in PDFs, ropes, ect... (This is what you're looking for - Don't look greedy)

I find the best Craigslist motors hide on the crappy boats. "Must take boat, trailer, motor". The people who believe their motors are expensive, and consequently overprice them, sell them separately.

If someone is selling ONLY a motor, in their minds they add value to it. If they're just trying to get rid of a boat, they forget the motor.

So, my meager advice is to buy some crappy craigslist boat with a good motor, then sell the boat - OR strip the boat for what you want and donate the boat to an official charity for the tax write off. You may be surprised at the tax savings!

Jim

mossygo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Outboards are like lobster and crab, market price.

jdlough

Re: the compression check.

If you check the more knowledgeable post around here, you will find that even more important than over 100, is that all the cylinders are within 10% of each other. You don't want to find one weird cylinder.

The last motor I checked, the owner was nervous about reving the motor outta the water, even with a hose. He reved the motor about only 3 revs. Each cylinder registered about 97. Later, when I checked it with a full 10+ rev each check, each cylinder checked out at about 120.

You just don't want to see, 120, 121, 119, 65.

If so, then there's something wrong with that 65 cylinder.

I'd be much happier with a motor that registered all 6 cylinders at 95, than one that registered 5 at 130 and 1 at 75. That 1@75 looks like it wants money.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

Strom,

I find the best Craigslist motors hide on the crappy boats. "Must take boat, trailer, motor". The people who believe their motors are expensive, and consequently overprice them, sell them separately.

Jim

Bingo. Thats how a got my 98' Johnson 70hp 4 stroke, it was mounted on a early 80's 17' aluminum fishing boat I bought the whole package for 3500$, found a good running 79' 70hp Evinrude for 600$, and put it on that boat and sold it for 2500$ My engine ending up costing me 1600$ :D

NADA value is WAY off on just about any outboard I look at on there. My 4 stroke Johnson is valued at 995$ but I could sell in a day for over 3000$, same with my 28hp spl NADA= 190$ but it would sell for 600$+ easy

Stromzilla

Seaman Apprentice

If you check the more knowledgeable post around here, you will find that even more important than over 100, is that all the cylinders are within 10% of each other. You don't want to find one weird cylinder.

The last motor I checked, the owner was nervous about reving the motor outta the water, even with a hose. He reved the motor about only 3 revs. Each cylinder registered about 97. Later, when I checked it with a full 10+ rev each check, each cylinder checked out at about 120.

I'd be much happier with a motor that registered all 6 cylinders at 95, than one that registered 5 at 130 and 1 at 75. That 1@75 looks like it wants money.
Hey, thanks for the tips on compression...first thing I plan to do tomorrow. By the way I'm assuming the compression check is done on an engine that has been running previous to the check? The process I was planning to follow was to first warm the engine, remove all 4 plugs, connect the tester into the plug hole, crank the engine over with the throttle open, take note of the number, move onto the next cylinder. Will this work?

Stromzilla

Seaman Apprentice

The 1979 115 Evinrude I looked at this morning came in @ 120/120/125/130. Sounds to me like it's well within an acceptable range.