new guy with gen II mercruiser problems HELP!!

i have a 98 sea ray with 4.3 and a gen II mercruiser. it runs like a champ, accelerates great and pulls skiers and tubes with no problem until i hit a wave or large wake while under power......then the thing will act like i hit the brakes...i can put it in forward or reverse and it will move slowly and bog the motor down so far that it will start to clatter....if i open the engine cover and rev it in neutral it does great. anybody out there know whats going on? im at a loss.
thanks for any suggestions and your time
steve

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new guy with gen II mercruiser problems HELP!!

I'd pull the drive and check the gimbal bearing and u-joints. When you say "clatter" does it sound more like the engine stalling or problems with the outdrive?

i replaced the gimbal but not the u joint....it seemed to move freely and didnt have any slack. the noise is definitely the motor bogging but it appears to be because something else is locking up. if i let it sit for an hour it will do just find again until the next big wave.

maddog2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had simular problems with a spun prop and bad thrust bearing. I could drive straight and then turn and lose power or forward motion and the engine would rev up, but not move as fast.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Could be any thing from water in the fuel, to a loose electrical connection being jarred. You'll need to trouble shoot it while the condition exists. I'd start by looking at the electronic side.

thanks people.....any and all help is appreciated!! i will post if any of the suggestions help.