Johnson 90' 225 hp dies at full throttle

doctorair

Cadet
Hey guys, I have a Johnson M/N- J225PLASS 1990' 225HP that dies at full throttle. It ran great at the end of last year and on the 1st trip out this year it does this. RPM goes to around 4000 then just dies. No alarms, warning signs or anything. It will start back up the 1st time but on the second failure it takes a good 10 minutes to start. Now, I have done compression test and it is within 5 psi on each cylinder. I have replaced the bulb, fuel line and filter, replaced ignition switch ( the key was sticking last year ) and new plugs. I filled the built in tank with gas and treated it and the end of last year, the fuel is about 4 months old. After all of this, took out again and same thing, this time it ran like crap! It was shaking, smoking and would barely go above 2000 RPM before stalling out. It would however idle fine. We trolled for fish for 2 hours and it sounded great. On earmuffs it runs REAL good of course there is no load either. I would think its running out of gas but how? I've been told its the powerpack, fuel pump, stopped up carbs ect.... Just wanted to get ya'lls take on this and see if this has happened to anyone else and what fixed it.

Thanks for the help in advance! Great site!!

doctorair

Cadet
Re: Johnson 90' 225 hp dies at full throttle

No advice? Here's an update, I took the fuel pump off and set it on the kitchen table ( wife not too happy about that ) and took apart. everything looks good, no obvious wear on diaphram BUT when I took the pump off, the pulse line hose was loose and it just fell right off. It didn't have a hose clamp on it. Put everything back together and started with muffs and of course it ran like a champ. If weather holds up I'm going out Sun morn to check again. How exactly does this pulse line work?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson 90' 225 hp dies at full throttle

It draws vacuum from cylinder 6? I think, that vac drives the pump,
and that hose can cause problems. Don't overtighten a steel clamp, the plastic can crack and its expensive to replace a pump if its vro or OMS.

The other thing is ...you guessed it...carbs.
If it doesn't run right next time I'd buy carb kits and do em.