Problems running VMax 150 HPDI

robstermn

Recruit
I have 2002 VMax HPDI and I put it way last year after I fogged it and all was normal, ran fine. I topped off the tank and added stabilizer and that was it...

This spring I went to get ready for the season and the following happened, It started and ran for about 5 or 10 seconds, and then it stalls out.

So I changed the plugs and the fuel filter and no improvement, same thing starts and runs for about 5 to 10 seconds and then stalls.

I tested the gas by running my kicker which is a 4 stroke 8hp Yamaha and the kicker runs fine, so I don't think it the gas...

Ideas?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Problems running VMax 150 HPDI

when you stabilized the fuel, did you run the motor to make sure it circulated through the fuel system?

it sounds like you have clogged VST filter, fuel pressure regulator screen and/or fuel injector screens.
did you service the VST?

what stabilizer did you use?

robstermn

Recruit

I don't remember if I put the stabilizer in before or after the Fog???

No I haven't serviced the VST, what exactly is involved in that operation?

The stabilizer that I used was - Sta-Bil

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

this post explains the VST servicing and medium pressure filter annual replacement on hpdi motors.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/66928

you may need to clean your injectors as well. the hpdi motors run on the ragged edge of lean, if it's not running right, it could easily pop a piston.

if you're gonna service it yourself, get an oem manual.

robstermn

Recruit

Thanks for the info, I'm going to tackle the VST this weekend.

robstermn

Recruit

Well I replaced the VST filter it was kinda dirty, and I check the fuel pressure regulator screen and it was clean....

I put the unit back together and now I the engine won't even start...

Ideas?

Thanks