Briggs & stratton questions??

hoopnitram

Recruit
I was just given a 5 hp briggs outboard, it is a low emission model, what is all the wiring hooked to the carb? It has a flood problem, the bulb will fill the cylinder, the needle and float are working fine, [seem to be]...
I think this motor has had this problem for a long time, the man I got it from told me it has never worked right for very long, I got it just before the sledge hammer took it's life, the paint isn't chipped off the prop..
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you,
Hoop

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Briggs & stratton questions??

Not a lot of Briggs experience here but speaking generically::
Sometimes if the diaphram in the fuel pump is bad it will cause flooding.
On some motors the pump element is in the carb.I would confirm the float and float valve are working and set right.
If it has been flooding that bad the oil may be deluted and lube washed of the cylinder/piston etc.

hoopnitram

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, I'm not really sure what is going on with this thing, I just now have walked by ,put the plug in and it fired up and died, put the fuel line on , and flooded it, what is the assembly sitting on top of the air filter?
Thanks for any help,
Hoop

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can't speak for the Briggs but outboards usually don't have an air filter.
Not much dust on the water.May be a silencer or guard.A picture or description of the part above would help.Flooding is usually pretty straight forward.Could be as simple as a stuck float.You might try the internet for
service manual.Most of us here haven't even seen a Briggs in person.
Wiring at the carb could be just some sort of kill switch operated by the linkage.