hit bottom, chewed up prop

bubbster

Cadet
Hi,

As a newbie, should I change a chewed up ali prop? Its pretty badly dinged, with the leading edge bent, one of the blades has lost a bit of the leading edge also. Would this effect balance and efficiency?

I have a 65ES72L, but the manual makes no mention of a shear pin? Is there anything else I should check? I ran the engine for another half hour afterwards and it seemed fine. The skeg also got a bit of a wack. Flushed the motor afterwards, and the prop turned a bit in neutral on the mufflers, which it never did before, but I assume this is normal?

Any wisdom appreciated!

Iain

crxess

Chief Petty Officer
Re: hit bottom, chewed up prop

If you can't clean it up replace it. An untrue prop can do a lot of damage to the seals and even the gears. With the prop removed you should check the prop shaft to be sure it hasn't bent. Place a block of wood with a screwdriver close to the shaft and watch clearance as you rotate the shaft.

If you don't have a sheer pin, you have a spline drive. The prop would have a rubber hub insert which can slip/tear when bottomed out.

freddyray21

Commander

agreed a chewed up prop is unbalanced and can tear up seals.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd get a new prop personally and have that one repaired to keep as a spare, should this happen again. It should cost around $40 to get it repaired. I always carry a spare prop just in case.

bubbster

Cadet

I have found a close match quite cheaply, but it is 1/4 inch larger. The original is 13" dia, 19" pitch, would it be a problem to put on a 13.25" by 19"? Not sure if dia is critical as long as it doesnt hit the cavitation plate?

bubbster

Cadet

Also noticed the lock nut is only hand tight, if that, and is really only held on by the cotter pin? Isn't this a bit lose? The manual says tighten lock nut with a wrench. How tight should the nut be?

Thanks

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

The lock nut only keeps the prop from moving backward off the splines. It's not necessary for it to be cranked down tight as the splines and thrust washer do most of the work. I install mine with a wrench but its just beyond finger tight.

Expidia

Commander

Here is where I send mine:

http://www.soderbloom.com/proprepair.html

$28 plus $10 to ship back. They do nice work with fast turn around time.

I would get another prop anyway and use the repaired one as a spare to keep on board cause you are sure to bang it up again :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

An out of balance prop can do a lot of damage to the lower unit. Get it repaired or replace, get it repaired and have a spare. I have 2 prop's one that has been repaired that I use for learner skiers and heave load tubing and one that is a couple of inches more pitch for cruising. Works out well and I always have a spare on board just in case.