stalling

barbie

Recruit
I just bought a 85' Ski Centurion with a 351 V8 inboard engine this weekend. We took it out last night and it started right up. We ran it for about an hour and then just as we were getting in... it stalled (while in gear) It will start right up but as soon as you put it into gear (engage it) it stalls. The prop is not caught on anything so it is not that. We tried to engage it with high RPM's and also tried to ease it into gear and it stalls every time. We had to be towed in. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong?

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: stalling

Are the guages working correctly? Confirm that it's not overheating. Also, this is sometimes typical in 3.0's after a hard run, but what happens is that they won't turn off, they keep "dieseling." You carb may be too rich and when you bring it down to idle, there is just too much fuel in intake manifold that it's causing an over rich situation that kills the engine.

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there the first thing I will do is a complete tune up, plugs wires,cap,rotor, fuel filter, fuel water separator, 1 pine of heet to remove water from the gas tank, and check for the carburetor to seeif need to be rebuilt.

barbie

Recruit

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to change the fuel/water separator and clean the cap and rotor. I know this sounds funny but does anyone know where to get a diagram or a how to manual. I need to learn how to do this stuff.