Are smart tabs for my boat?

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Crestliner 1860 aluminum modified V with a Mercury 90 2 cycle on the back. I also have a hydraulic jack plate. I have changed motor heights and done a lot of running/testing different combinations of jack plate height and trim to get the boat to plane good. I have found the sweet spot with two people in the boat, but can't get the desired plane with a third person in the boat. I just need to get a little more bow rise. Would smart tabs help?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Are smart tabs for my boat?

bow rise, trim motor out more, must of us are trying to get rid of bow rise.

sunbird 18

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jack plate down to get more bow-rise.

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can trim till it cavitates and not get some rise when I have the third person in the boat. It plows the water, I've tried the jack plate from all the way up to all the way down in several different scenerios adjusting the trim in each and can't get the desired plane with the extra person. With two people the wake is at the drivers/passengers seats or a little behind. With the third person it's probably at the middle of the boat. Was just wondering if smart tabs help with the plane.

sunbird 18

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Smart tabs will not make your bow rise. Try moving heavier objects as far aft as possible. Tell that third person to sit ontop of the outboard. Maybe add a cushion for him to sit on?:D

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are right. I wasn't thinking straight. I guess tabs would be designed to bring the bow down. Thanks