Prop help for 15' inflatable - have lots of details

mpj76

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for prop suggestions. (1) I'd like the boat to go as fast as possible given my typical load. Here's my current setup:

2) Prop: Suzuki, stock, aluminum
3) blades/diameter/pitch: 3 x 10 1/4 x 10
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful) - see below
5) Motor: Suzuki DF 25, 2009, 25 hp V-twin, 2.09 gear ratio
6) Boat: Saturn Inflatable SF470, 2009, 15' (inflatable keel, aluminum floor). Boat weighs 245 lbs, plus 6 gal gas, 152 lbs for motor, about 15 lbs for empty cooler and 10 lbs for anchor for total of about 460 lbs.

With me and my wife, plus the cooler partly filled, It jumps onto plane immediately. It gets to top speed (21 mph GPS) within seconds and hits the red line quickly.

With the same above plus two dive tanks, dive gear for two, and two more people (275 lbs of people), it still jumps onto plane quickly and tops out at 18 mph and hits redline (5500 rpms) which it still gets to quickly.

The engine has a red line range of 4500-5500. I'm not using a whale tail or tabs. My thoughts are I need a higher pitch prop. Suzuki has available pitches of 9 through 15. Which should I go for for max speed when lighter and without bogging down on the above heavy load plus maybe even 200 more pounds?

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Prop help for 15' inflatable - have lots of details

Mpj76, I would recommend a 12" pitch prop, your numbers are not any good without WOT RPM, so part of this is a guess. But this is what I show if you were only getting 5,500 RPM at this time. And the minimum RPM you should turn with just normal load will be at least 4,800 RPM plus what ever you were over revving before. Here are my numbers.

Mpj76BoatandMotorInfoIboats.jpg

H

mpj76

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply. I couldn't get to WOT RPM because it would bump the rev limiter at 5500 in each trial. It was pretty close to WOT, though. I'll try some out and see what it does. Thanks again.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You might check if a 12"Turning Point Rascal prop is available for your motor.
ss performance at aluminum prices.

hwsiii

Commander

Mp you are very welcome, please update us when you use the new prop, as I use the information in my database.

H