removing rivets

pwfish1

Seaman
i need to remove some rivets to get deck out. should i be careful not to elongate the holes in order to use same size rivets? or will need new holes anyway or will need a larger size to use same holes?

also, whats the best way to remove them? i've pulled some but don't think that's right.

thank you
paul

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: removing rivets

I used a sharp Chisel to pop the heads off then tapped them out through the other sie of the hole....some might need to be redrilled just due to wear if your deck was soft and springy...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

What type of rivet? A typical pop rivet just requires the head be cut off with a drill and after you remove the wood then you can tap out the rest.

Solid rivets may require a chisel or some carefull grinding...... same plan .... cut off the head.

willyrocket

Seaman

Drill from the head of the rivet. (usually a dimple is on the head so no need for a punch to start with) Drill about 2/3rds of the way into the rivet. You want to use a size drill that is smaller than the rivet shank. Dont drill all the way through the rivet. Next step up a size or two on your drill bit, and drill just deep enough to pop the head off (most times you wont need to do this, you can use your punch to pry the head off, actually you dont need to pry, it should just "pop" off). Next take a punch that will fit into the first hole you drilled, and punch it with a hammer, knocking out the rivet. Usually, this way will not mess up your hole (which is the ultimate goal you would like to achieve) and you can use the same size rivet and not have a "wallowered" out hole. If you use a bit thats the same size as the rivet and drill all the way through, unless you drill absolutely perfect, you will probably go off center, and make the original hole larger. If that happens just use a larger rivet.

I should have asked first though, what kind of rivets????

I ll take a few pics, next time at work.

And "generally" on boats, the "head" of the rivet is on the outside, while the "bucktail" is on the inside.

I know it may seem not very important about the size of your holes, but from what ive seen at work, if the hole is just a bit larger than the rivet, over time, the rivet will begin to loosen. We call this a working rivet. After time, it loosens to the point of failure, i.e., water leakage.... You also want to ensure both pieces of material you are joining with the fastener, are flush with each other. I have noticed this on my starcraft I am doing. Where the ribs are riveted to the hull, a few areas do not sit flush with the hull. 5 different spots. 3 of these spots, where rivets were, the rivets were loose.

willyrocket

Seaman

1.gif

2.gif

This works best for me..... learned how to do it at work.

pwfish1

Seaman

willy,

just outside worc....try to fish the cape mostly.

Bondo

Staff member

i need to remove some rivets to get deck out.

Ayuh,... If you were doing hull rivets,... I agree with Willy....

If you're removing a wood deck to replace it,...
Drill the heads off with a slightly Larger drill bit,.. Pry out the wood,.. Grind the old rivets flat,+ drill new holes....

willyrocket

Seaman

hey fish, you do fresh or salt? Now that its warmin up, up hittin the ponds. Mostly takin the kiddos for sunfish, but I try to squeak rubber worms in for myself. Im in Centerville by Hyannis, let me know if you need anything.......

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey willyrocket (a.k.a. Mr. Holiday Inn):D. The head of rivets in my boat don't have that dimple you mention. The heads are smooth. I'm a day or two away from needing to drill some rivets out and don't want to screw it up. Any suggestions? Also, can you recommend a economical pneumatic rivet gun?

What is the name of this type rivet?

outside
P4250116.jpg

inside
P4250114.jpg

willyrocket

Seaman

The rivet pictured there, for the most part is a "solid rivet". There are a few "vaiations" of these, but fwiw, its a solid rivet. Look REALLY close at the head, maybe even knock the paint off it. There should be a dimple. If not, no big deal. Eyeball as close as you can to the center, and start your drill bit, or use a punch for your center mark. This is not as critical as you think. If you use a center punch, you already have your starting pint for your drill bit. If you use a drill bit to mark your center, after you chuck your bit in the drill, center it on the head, and twist the chuck with your hand to start it. Adjust as necessary.

The idea here, is to drill through the head of the rivet, and no more than 2/3 of the way into the shank of the rivet. Use a drill bit that is 2/3 the size of the body (shank) of the rivet. Once you do this, the head of the rivet should be weak enough to pop it off. Once the head is removed, use a punch that fits in the previously drilled hole, and punch it out. Doing it this way, should theoritically not effect the original size of the hole, so you can use the same size rivet.

Those types of rivets do not use your typical squeeze rivet gun. (rivet guns that are used for "blind rivets") They use a gun that is basically a pneumatic hammer, with a bit that fits the head of the rivet.

rivetgun.jpg

Use this gun on the head, and a chunk of steel on the tail of the rivet. When you squeeze the trigger and apply the steel to the tail, it "smashes" the rivet, causing a "mushroom" on the tail. This mushroom acts like the nut, on a nut and bolt. Dont forget to put a "dallup" of 5200 on it before you insert the rivet. (I like that word, dallup)

Heres what the tail should look like.

propertail.jpg

The ones on the inside of yours look a little too "smashed". My 1975 starcraft looks similar to yours so dont freak. There are formulas, calculations, procedures for all this, but thats for airplanes. We are working on boats..... Just make sure it dont leak.

On a blind rivet

047_blind_rivet.jpg

The rivet gun you use, pulls the center of the rivet together, effectively "mushrooming" the end of the rivet. Because of this centerpiece, that is why you dont use it where water intrusion may incur, because of the possibility of water entry.

Check Ebay for rivet guns. You can get "air chisels" cheap, at H depot, or various tool stores cheap. Scrounge the flea bay for the chisel part of it, Be somewhat critical of this piece, because you want to fit it to the head of your rivet. Also look for those used tool stores in your area. Those are always cool to browse.

Biggest difference IMO, between an air chisel and a rivet gun, is the trigger on a rivet gun, you have a little more control.......

Sorry for the long winded post, its Friday, I had a long day and a few drinks.......

This week at work had been all engine stuff. Next week we have some metal work, and will try to get some pics of the process. This is not the perfect way to do it, and it may be a little overboard and time consuming, but works almost flawless every time, and leaves little margin for error...... once yo get the hang of it.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for comin' through willy! You did pretty good for having a few drinks, you even spelled 'dallup' right;). I'll see if I can find that 'divit' in the head of the rivets. Like my made up word 'divit'?....or 'divet'.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Any experince with These,..??
img_pop_rivets_closed.gif

Closed end pop rivets are what I use in my hull...

willyrocket

Seaman

Those will work too!!!!

One last thing, grab a few extra rivets and a scrap of aluminum. Chunk of thin steel will work if you dont have aluminum and practice on a few first.....

There are lots of ways to rivet and remove rivets. Im not saying this is the exact right way to do it. This is how I learned and it works for me. A little more time consuming, but like I said, it works for me....

willyrocket

Seaman

Thanks for comin' through willy! You did pretty good for having a few drinks, you even spelled 'dallup' right;). I'll see if I can find that 'divit' in the head of the rivets. Like my made up word 'divit'?....or 'divet'.

Dont worry too much about the divit, you cann make your own. It may be a good idea to start with a smaller bit if you do this, so you dont chance enlarging the hole too much. Just work your way up with the bit size till the head pops off.....

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just finished replacing every leaky rivet I could find in my 1978 Starcraft. The deck was totally shot so I ripped it up and filled the boat with water. I read a ton about the types of rivets to use and decided on those closed ended rivets mentioned before. They worked great, A little bit of 5200 on them before using a pneumatic gun to set them. I have one of those hand held home depot rivet tools, but it's very hard to use on the closed ended pop rivet.

I also just finished riveting down 3/4 plywood to the stringers / ribs. I used a standard type blind pop rivet.

I have a ton of both of these types of rivets left over. If anyone needs some PM me. I don't know what I am going to do with 250+ of each....