Prop Pitch for 88hp Johnson on 1992 Cajun

texassanchez

Recruit
Hey Guys,,, just got a new to me 1992 Cajun 1650, with a 1992 Johnson 88hp SPL outboard on it. I had to replace the prop that came with it cause it was pretty chewed up. The prop that was on it was 22 pitch and i went and purchased a new one, same pitch. I've been out to the lake like 5 or 6 times and the boat is slow to get up and go, but once it's on plane, it runs like a jack rabbit. I purchased some smart tabs but am still reluctant to drill holes in the boat. I was thinking about buying a different prop first but trying to figure out if i should drop down to like a 15 or 17 pitch prop is like trying to pick the lotto numbers, so before i do anything to the fiberglass if i could get some ideas it would help tons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And since i'm asking if anyone knows where i could get an owners manual for this boat that would be great also. I've searched for hours and hours trying to find one and i can't even find 'Mastercrafters' who i understand built the boat. Thanks again all.

Jes

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Pitch for 88hp Johnson on 1992 Cajun

Other than the fact that I feel the 22 is way too much prop;without your present max rpm and speed there is no way to select a prop.
Read the stickies at the top of the page and the helps at the prop store page.It is critical that the motor operate within its recommended rpm range.
Both for efficiency and motor health.

texassanchez

Recruit

Yeah, and that's my problem. I got this boat used and it's pretty hard to find the exact specs that would give me all the information needed. The reason for the 22 pitch prop, is because, that's what was on it when i purchased it. I'm still searching the web trying to get more info in order to make a better decision on the correct prop pitch. Thanks for responding.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Its no mystery; just take it out for a test run.Get us the max rpm and speed.
No tach? a tinytach will work; reasonable, easy to install.A gps will get the speed.A speedo is 2nd choice but can be plus or minus 10%.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 22 could be pretty close if not correct depending on what rpm it turns on top and how it's set up. If it's getting up on the pad, that's one thing. If this prop isn't allowing that to happen, that's another story.