Proper Prop for a Speed Restricted Lake

Bowser4x4

Seaman
We live on a lake that not only has a 35 mph speed limit but comes equipped with a patrol that greatly enjoys enforcing the limit. Having said that, it is a fairly small lake and it does make sense with the number of people on it. So with this in mind, top speed is not an issue.

Particulars involved:
2005 Sea Ray Sundeck 200...weighs in at about 3500#'s
5.0mpi Mercrusier with Alpha 1
Current Prop: 14"x19p Mercury Vengence 3 bladed SS
Current top speed: I am guessing about 50mph or so... Can't run it that high on this lake ;) and am basing part of it on the former owners performance claims....
Same with the WOT: Am guesstimating in the 4200-4400 range but since I am not going to be able to take it out to a big lake anytime soon for a true test, I have to go with that.

Being a hybrid deck boat, I am going to be running a load on it as well as towing kids all around on both tubes, ski's and in the future, wakeboards. So what I am looking for is pure low end pull.....without jumping the cruising rpms thru the roof....gas gets expensive and is a PITA to haul down to the dock all the time.

The prop that I have sort of narrowed it down to is a Mercury High Five in either 19 pitch or 17 pitch. Sort of leaning towards the 17p for the extra hole shot and making it quicker to get on plane. By the way, trim tabs are probably going to be the next thing I add...just have not decided on the "automatic" or the powered ones...if they will fit the goofy hull this thing has.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated and needed. Any other ideas besides the High Five? As I said, ain't too worried about the top speed and I am going to keep the 19p Vengeance for a back up and will switch it if we ever get out to a "big lake"

Woof
Bowser

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Proper Prop for a Speed Restricted Lake

Am guesstimating in the 4200-4400

Well.. without real numbers its anybody's guess. I would think.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to take it to a lake that you can open her up on. You will need the real WOT RPM to make the proper choice of prop. It should be as simple as changing the pitch. One answer may be to get and adjustable prop. ProPulse makes them, you can manualy adjust according to use by using a key that unlockes the blades allowing you to adjust the pitch, its like having 6 props in one. But you still need to beable to test the current prop at WOT.

Bowser4x4

Seaman

Well.. without real numbers its anybody's guess. I would think.

Yep,
That is why I am still on the fence. Maybe I can sneak it one morning and see what it runs at WOT>...

Just was hoping that someone had some experience that was close.

Woof
Bowser

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe talk to the patrol and see if they will let you test WOT on a morning when it is empty or close to it - even if under their supervision. Explain what you want to do and need to find out. Never know.