1998 35hp Johnson Probs

duckhunter55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 35hp Johnson longshaft tiller steer motor mounted on a short shaft transom jon boat via a mini jack plate. I have the plate which sits directly above prop (cavitation plate?) just a tad above the bottom of the hull maybe 1/2in. I bought a new 15p sst prop for it and at first motor ran fine at all speeds. The edges of the prop now have some light scuffing from loading but nothing major. After about 1/2 throttle if I turn the boat real quick to the right and then bring it back straght motor will begin to rev up and boat slows down, but as soon as i bring it back straight it will stop. Sometimes it will continue after being brought back straight and I will have to come to a stop to make it quit acting up. It only does this when going right never while turning left. Sometimes while going straight it will randomly start reving up, sometimes quitting on its own or making me slow down to stop it. It does not feel like a its coming out of gear, just a revving sound. thanks luke

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 35hp Johnson Probs

sounds like you are ventilating, prop sucking air.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

My first thought was your motor is too high. You're better off with the cav plate about an inch below the hull. See if you can lower it with your mini jack plate to below the hull.

MAS

duckhunter55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alright guys, lowered motor by about 2 inches and my problem went away! Appreciate all your help!