95 5.7 alpha mercruiser starting problems

95VIP

Cadet
I finally got power to my coil and fuel pump and checked everything out and now when i try to start it backfires through the carb and exhaust. I checked the plugs to make sure they are the right spot but everything looks right. When i bought the boat the guy said he thought it had a spun bearing. So i need to get it started to see if that is the case. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 95 5.7 alpha mercruiser starting problems

Backfiring thru the carb indicates its running lean. Change the fuel seperator. When you do, dump the old seperator into a clear glass jar and see if it has water in it. Check carb filter also.

Bondo

Staff member

now when i try to start it backfires through the carb and exhaust. I checked the plugs to make sure they are the right spot but everything looks right. When i bought the boat the guy said he thought it had a spun bearing.

Ayuh,.... Did you check the basic Timing,..??
Sounds the the distributer might be Out by a few teeth, or maybe even 180?....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

did you pull your plugs 1 at a time? Are you sure your firing order is correct??

95VIP

Cadet

where is the fuel separater? I know where the fuel filter on the side of the block (the one that looks like a oil filter) is , but it looks to me that it comes from the tank, to the filter, and then to the electric pump.

95VIP

Cadet

When i bought the boat two of the plug wires (4 and 6) were taken off. Also some of the wires were in the wrong place. Also three of the plugs were completely missing the electro. The distributor being off is what first came to me also being that the #1 plug is not facing forward, but how do you move the distributor? It has that module on the back.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

should be 1.8.4.3.6.5.7.2 ,make sure you have that first

8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1
Front of Engine