trim UP switch fails, 94 Alpha 1

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Suddenly my up trim switch does not work, down and trailer switches still work. Can I assume it is the little switch in the handle? does the handle assbly easily come apart?

right now I can use the trailer button to lift just fine - but dont want to leave it broken, what if I lose down :O

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trim UP switch fails, 94 Alpha 1

It could be the trim limit switch or wires to it. It's located on the gimbal ring where the drive pivots up and down.

James

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It could be the trim limit switch or wires to it. It's located on the gimbal ring where the drive pivots up and down.

James

Yup, I agree, this was exactly the cause of my outdvive being unable to trim up. My starbord trim switch had a sheared wire.

humbled1

Seaman Apprentice

Just went through the samething. port side trim sender and wires were bad.

rgf1046

Cadet

I just went through the exact same thing, port limit swtich wires has corroded off.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Does that cause a red light to come on on your trim indicator panel?
I am having a similar issue that the drive will go up and down but once it goes up to a point the red light comes on and wont go up any farther. and it is definetly not all the way up.. not even half way up..

thanks

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

huge bummer. this is a boat that stays in the water all season, and I assume the proper repair involves pulling the drive.

question - anyone know the wiring to direct me to eliminate the position sensor so the switch will work again?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Your problem could be in the solenoid controlling the up function, or in the trim switch itself. You really need to trouble shoot the system before attempting a repair or work around. You'll need a factory service manual, they outline the test procedures. There's a down loadable one in the adults only section. Good luck.