steering cable stuck in tilt tube

clifton

Recruit
just got this boat and i can't get the steering cable out of the tilt tube to take the motor off the boat . starboard side moves in and out when nut is unscrewed, but port side will not budge. i have tapped with hammer from port to starboard but does nothing . motor is a 1970 mercury 500 thunderbolt 50 hp. can someone pleas tell me how the steering cable even works and what i need to do to remove it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering cable stuck in tilt tube

Clif, Those steering cable ends corrode to the tilt tube, as you have found out. Spray it with penetrating oil like PB Blaster and rock it to and fro with a pipe wrench. If you can get it to move at all, it will eventually loosen up. Keep straying and rocking

If that fails, heat it with a propane torch and try to rock it. After it moves, remove the torch and spray it with the oil. Eventually you will be able to clean and lube it.

Do not mushroom the end of the cable, by using a hammer on it.

clifton

Recruit

Hey thanks for the info chris it worked great.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

PB Blaster. You took the words out of my mouth. I had similar problem years ago. Tried WD40, no go. Tried Liquid Wrench, no go. Tried PB Blaster, broke loose. I used a block of wood and ball peen hammer each time. AFter that episode, I bought PB Blaster as stocking stuffers that Christmas for all my family grease monkeys.

tinboatwhaler

Recruit

What exactly are you applying heat to? I've been working this issue - and have not got it to budge. Nervous about heat near the fiberglass....:eek:

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

This too happened to me so I used a cut off wheel on a grinder and cut the cable off near the tube. then used a hammer and drift punch to knock out the table from the tube. Being that the cable was frozen in the tube, I ended up buying and replacing the tube. Now everything is new and smooth as silk ;).

eaglecoastie

Recruit

Hey guys... what is PB Blaster and where can I get it?