salt water fresh water difference?

maciejl

Cadet
I have 50 hp merc elpto 2 stroke.On the lake runs perfect when I go to salt water from time to time looses power. You run and suddenly drops to 1300 rpm and does not want to go faster no power; is like looses its high tone. Then after a while regains power and regular conditions, then again looses power. When it is in the stage of low performance I have problem to start the engine, it pulls the starting wheel but it seams like does not have spark because does not want to start, when "switches" to regular performance starts right up.
I am not sure if it is a difference between salt and fresh water but this problem never showed on fresh water. What do you think it could be?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: salt water fresh water difference?

It could be a bunch of stuff, however, it is not the saltyness of the water.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

See if you have spark to all cylinders, when it is acting up. Look at the spark plugs as well and see if any are fouled or have water.

crazyclam

Cadet

The only difference is buoyancy.....your boat is lighter in saltwater and should go a tad bit faster.....I am sure you would have the same problem on freshwater if you run it for the same amount of time.....

Or You are catching Seaweed!.....when it happens kill your engine and check your prop!!!!

Happens on my jet ski all the time....totally kills the engine.....low rpm......no power......when it clears its back to normal....so check your prop as soon as it happens...

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

..or there is more chop on the salt water you frequent and you are stirring up junk in your fuel tank???

maciejl

Cadet
stator resistance test results?

stator resistance test results?

I performed the stator resistance test/It should be between 0.16-0.19 the ohmeter was crazy running and did not show stable reading. In the ignition stator resistance test should be between 660-710 and was 920. What it means Should get new stator?