Hole Repair

Seventy468

Cadet
Hello, I am new to the site so if this is the wrong place to post this please help me!

I have a 12' aluminum fishing boat that has 5 holes (roughly anywhere from 1/2"-1") I took it to a professional welding shop today and they said they couldnt do it because it would make the original pop-rivits leak. When I purchased this boat it had water weld in all the holes (that I overlooked) and luckily noticed it before I put it in the water. I really do not want to put water weld back on it for the fix... so I was thinking pop-riviting a piece of metal (what should I use, steel or aluminum?) over all the holes, and use a silicone that is great with water. Any other ideas? again I am new to this site and new to boats, heck I just wanted to go fishin! now I got a boat to repair :mad:

Thanks for you help and time!
Seventy468

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Hole Repair

You'll get a much better response if you post your question in the Boat Restoration section of the forum. They're probably going to ask to see photos of the damaged area, but will have good suggestions for you. It's not too hard to fix holes in aluminum boats.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why can't the shop fix the rivets? Hammering the rivets again and using some gluvit after welding would seem like a reasonable, long-term fix.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

You should buy some aluminum of the same thickness as your boat and cut it up so it covers the holes with lots of room to spare.
Then get some stainless steel truss headed philips bolts (1/2 inch) which are the same thickness as your rivets, with nylon innards nuts. Drill holes in the boat or use existing holes by removing rivets then put some silicone or M 5200 on the aluminum pieces and bolt them on.

Seventy468

Cadet

how about durafix?? anyone ever used it?? I did a little research and it looks great! but ive never used it, and was unable to find any cons on it.. other than its mostly overseas.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Durafix is great for soft drink cans.......

Seventy468

Cadet

care to elaborate? I am just curious. Seems like an easier solution, especially since most of us cannot afford tig welders. Please share negative thoughts on durafix, because I want to know all about it. Anyone ever used it? Pros/cons welcome!!!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

care to elaborate? I am just curious. Seems like an easier solution, especially since most of us cannot afford tig welders. Please share negative thoughts on durafix, because I want to know all about it. Anyone ever used it? Pros/cons welcome!!!

I tried it several times after I saw a sales rep use it on soda cans.
The problem is even heating.The heat disperses very fast on a large piece of metal like a boat.This makes it very hard to heat it up properly and trying to actually weld is just a huge pain in the neck.That is why I ended up using big patches on my boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Dura fix is trash (unless you sell it for a living). There has NOT been anyone happy with it on an aluminum boat here. Make the patch, use jbweld and a few pop rivets ...... it will last a long tome. 3M 5200 is even better but you need a stainless bolt as stated or a few pop rivets.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Anyone ever try this? I've been curious.
http://www.aluminumrepair.com

Another boater said he was going to but never heard any good results. Anything that requires heat (other than welding) is real tough. The common person can destroy aluminum with a simple propane torch..... the repair heat and the "destroy" heat are real close ....... Aluminum does not show color until it is too late unlike steel. My advice..... AVOID ;)