Something wierd on a 96 evinrude 48 spl

Fireson

Cadet
Hey Guys...First off thanks for any advice, I took the carbs off today and in the bottom motor port that the carb bolts too, something was in there. It looked like a round hollow cylinder like piece about one inch long and it was brown and frail like it had been in gas for a while. I am having problems with keeping my motor running, it will start up but will die in about 30 seconds or less unless I push the key in to choke it. I don't believe its the fuel line because I replaced it. My next option was the carbs since my motor had been sitting for a while and I did not properly store it. do you think my carbs being gummed up could cause the motor to die like it is. Also last time I took the boat out it had a problem with speed and rpms. seemed like it was towing a log behind it. It was only about half as powerful as before. Do you guys think this unknown object in the bottom of the motor could have caused that. I got it out but I still have no idea what it was. Any ideas? Thanks a lot guys.

Fireson

Cadet
Re: Something wierd on a 96 evinrude 48 spl

Also should i get the carb kit with or without the float?

Fireson

Cadet

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you!

ob

Admiral

You'll have the final say on which kit you purchase.Unless there is reason to believe that the floats are defective I don't see a need to replace them.Your engine condition most definately sounds like restricted carbs.By pushing in on the key primer(not a choke) it allows fuel mix to bypass the carburetors and flow directly into the intake chamber.Pay particular attention to the carburetor pickup tubes that extend into the float bowls for restriction when servicing the carbs.Carburetor cleaner and a set of indexed torch tip cleaners work well for me to insure carb orifices are clear of obstructions.

Fireson

Cadet

Thank you very much. I am going to start on the rebuilt tomorrow.

ob

Admiral

Good luck.Give us an update on your progress.:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

read the TOP SECRET FILE.