Fuel Problem..Please Help

FireFletch67

Cadet
I have a 1996 200hp Merc Offshore, it is extremely rough at idle and misses sometimes while running, took a good bit of water from the seperator and from the engine, no more water showing up, but it is still not running correctly, Any Ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Problem..Please Help

Probably still has water in the carbs. Did you drain and clean the carbs? Did you replace that fuel filter? Not just empty it.

FireFletch67

Cadet

No, i just cleaned both of them, It is an EFI so there are no carbs, I am going to replace the fuel lines tomorrow from the tank to the injectors, figure I should start at the tank and work back, I will also replace both filters, the one on the motor has a sensor on it to detect water (not that it worked when it filled up with water, but hey its a good concept), any suggetions on how to check the injectors to see if they are all working?? Thanks!

Hey Don Need some help Please. I have a Mercury 1986 150 XR2 outboard motor. I got it out of the shop about a month ago where the mechanic fixed an fuel air return line that had a leak. Went to lake. when I put in water the water pump was not working. Put in a new water pump. Took back to lake. Water pump worked fine. Then went to put prop in gear and the motor acted like it was flooding out. I have replaced fuel filter, new plugs, added fuel treatment. Took back to lake, same thing. I have to choke engine to start everytime. It will start and run but will not idle, and when you put prop in gear it acts like it is smothering out. Two weeks ago took to lake and when i first started it did same thing, so I used trolling motor to fish for awhile. About 3 hours later I tried starting it and it run and would take off but when you slowed down the engine would die. I rebult fuel pump and carbs last fall. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve