Possible Electircal Problem

johnson_stx

Cadet
About a month ago i had my 1996 Johnson 175hp rebuilt due to zero compression on 2 of 6 cylinders. All pistons where replaced along with the VRO since it was suspected as the culprit to the problem. So far I have put about 4-5hrs on the engine and have started to notice a really weird nose when starting the engine, i cant even discribe the noise but it doesnt last long once the engine kicks over. Another thing I noticed when the engine starts and if it makes the weird noise the tach, and volt gauge go haywire. once I try a restart it turns over and gauges read normal. Now once engine is running i noticed the volt gauge is reading less of a charge than my other engine (the rebuilt engine reads about 12-13v and the other engine reads 14v at idle). Once i throttle up on both engines i see the voltage is the same. I have replaced the voltage regulator but dont know what else to check. The engine runs fine and the compression hasnt changed since the engine has been rebuilt. I have a spare power pack and coils which i guess i can try swapping out but cant imagine that to be the problem. any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Possible Electircal Problem

that it to the guy who did the work.