Battery Question

AndyFL

Cadet
I disconnect my boat's battery for storage during the off season, but I'm not sure what's the correct procedure to follow during the on-season months.

Is it a good practice to leave the battery disconnected after recharging it and before taking the boat out again, perhaps within the next week or two? Does it really makes a difference? What you all do?

Andy

skeeeter

Cadet
Re: Battery Question

Hey, I disconnect mine but only because I dont know the history of my boats wiring. If the wiring in your boat is sound there shouldnt be a problem leaving it hooked up. They sell quick disconnect switches that go on the battery. Clocks, gauges and other devices which require a bit of voltage while the key is off usually draw only a few miiliamps. not enough to draw down a ba\tterey significantly. If its going to be out of use more than a month unhook the battery

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

i unhook mine after im done for the day. i will usually leave the battery on the boat tho so i check it before i go back out on the water. i have this nifty little handheld battery tester that gives me a couple lights if it is charged or not.

AndyFL

Cadet

Actually, my boat is fairly new (2006) and all wiring, gauges, battery, etc. is still in top shape. I'll follow your advice of disconnecting the battery only if leaving the boat still for about a month or so, good rule of thumb.

Thanks for sharing and for your replies guys.

Andy

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep in mind anything that might drain the battery while it stays connected (bilge pump for example)