Wires Hanging

stormy weathers

Seaman Apprentice
Cleaning motor to replace plugs, found two wires not connected to anything. One is dark brown white stripe, and the other is tan. they look like they would connect to one another. What are they? Need to be ready for red snapper in the Gulf next month. 1998 120hp force on 19ft trophy.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wires Hanging

I just rebuilt a 1997 75 HP with the same thing. I received the engine with the wires disconnected and I do not have a manual. The engine starts and runs fine with them disconnected so they are not part of the ignition or charging system. I know they are not the overheat circuit or the power trim. So, take away the ignition, charging, power trim, and overheat, and they don't apper to have a function. Problem is that they enter the wiring loom at the main connector and are difficult to trace. One is female and the other is male bullet connectors so they look like they should be connected to each other, but before I do, I am going to find a manual and check it out.

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wires Hanging

older models show br/w to the tilt pump motor the tan wire to the motor thermo switch if it has one.
tom