Can't Get My 200 To Run

munch

Seaman Apprentice
I Have A '76 200 Evinrude. I Had This Motor Running.
It Now Will Not Turn Over. I Had The Battery Check And They Said It Was Good. After Checking For Power , I Replaced The Starter.
Started The Motor In My Driveway And It Worked Great.
Took The Boat To The Lake And It Would Not Start. The Bendix Drive Is Staying Up. It Seems That There Isn't Enough Power Or This Starter Is Fried. I Have Now Returned The Starter And They Said It Was Fine. Can Anyone Help Me Maybe My Battery Isn't Big Enough?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't Get My 200 To Run

99% bad cables or connections.
90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

munch

Seaman Apprentice

THANKS.
I'VE HAD THE BATTERY TESTED THEY SAID IT WAS FINE.
Its 650 C.C.A. IS THIS ENOUGH?
THE WIRES ARE ALL NEW, AND CLEAN.
THE STARTER IS NEW.
I HAVE CONTINNUITY THROUGH THE STARTER WITH NO RESISTENCE UNTIL IT IS SPINNING. IS THIS RIGHT? I DON'T BELIVE IT IS. I THOUGHT THERE SHOULD BE RESISTENCE ALL THE TIME.
WHEN THE STARTER DRAWS POWER THE VOLTAGE DROPS TO 6 VOLTS. I HAVE NOT DONE AN AMPERAGE TEST ON THE STARTER.
MY OLD STARTER IS DONING THE SAME THING.
WHEN I PUT THE NEW STARTER IN IT WORKED FINE UNTIL I PUT IT IN THE WATER.

daselbee

Commander

Either the negative batt cable or the positive batt cable is bad.
Or just plain corroded connections.
Probably corroded under the insulation where you can't see it.