Fan under cover??

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The post about the water proof cover reminded me of a questions I wanted to ask. Although i have vents in my cover I ge a bit of condensation trapped and I am concerned bout mildew.
I would like to instal a little fan that could run off a little solar panel, could put the panel on the cover and set the little fan in the middle of the deck and just let it run?? has anyone tried this or have any suggestions?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Fan under cover??

How about a few bowls of baking soda?
Or there is a product they sell here in Florida (that may be just baking soda) that people put in their closets, attics to suck up moisture from the humidity we can get..

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Fan under cover??

The fan idea is very good. I run a little 6" fan over my engine every winter when the boat cover is cinched down. (it's under a canopy as well) I have it set on a timer and let it run a couple of hours during the nite when condensation would try to build up on the engine. It works great. The rest of the inside stays dry as well. I also clip a 40w lite (on a timer) to the opened front storage compartment door and aim it inside. The first year I left it sealed up and in the spring all my Mae Wests were black and slimey.

I have another boat that sits outside with two different covers over it. Strangely, when I get into the boat in the spring, there is no evidence of condensation or moisture. I thought for sure that the first winter I had it, it would be soaking wet under the covers.

If you could hook your solar charger to a battery, then put a timer on the fan, you could run yours at nite and let the batt charge during the day.