1985 Mariner 75 hp weak stream. Help!

al9981

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 Mariner 75hp that hasn't been fired up for 7 years and was bought brand new in 86. Today was time to fire it back up with new gas line and fresh gas. It started right up with no water stream in the beginning. We shut off the motor and looked at the stream hose and it was clogged. i sucked the dirt off and we tried it again. It worked but the water stream came out weak. we rev the motor and the stream didnt get any stronger; it kinda got weaker. My dad told me that it is not normal to have a weak stream.
So my question is, would the water pump need to be replaced? And keep in mind that the boat isn't in the water yet. And the boat was in idle the whole time. Any help is appreciate it.

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Mariner 75 hp weak stream. Help!

Yes absolutely drop the lower unit and change the impeller. Seven years unused and who knows how long operated with the existing impeller. About a 3-4 hour job for a guy who has not done it before. Buy a manual,makes life much easier!

emckelvy

Commander

Yes, that should work but it's a lot cheaper here:

http://www.boatfix.com/bykeywordnew2.asp?textfield=18-3517&texttype=2&submit=Search

Here's the catalog page with a better picture of the kit:

http://www.boatfix.com/catalog09/270.pdf

BTW, if you are going to attempt to do this job without a manual, do yourself a favor and search past postings about doing a lower unit remove/reinstall. You need to position the control box properly (usually Neutral) before you drop the lower unit; you need to NOT move the shift shaft in the lower unit at all when you're working on it; and you need to make sure everything is properly positioned when you do reinstall the lower unit.

If you don't observe these precautions you Most Likely will not have full shifting functions when you're done.

Do a little research and you'll see what I mean, it's one of the most common problems you'll run across, stuck in Fwd Gear after an impeller job.

HTH & G'luck...........ed

al9981

Seaman Apprentice

I ordered the water pump kit and i am going to do it over the weekend. But after research, I have couple of questions.
1. Some say to shift into neutral and take the lower unit out and other say to shift into forward. What is the difference between the fwd and the neutral position when I need to reinstall the LU?
2. Is there a gasket between the lower and the upper unit? and if there is, does it need to be replaced with a new one?

I appriciate any help.

al9981

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot for all your help. I did the water pump this weekend and it worked great. No problems. Thanks again