mud dust in intake

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have qa 3cyl '98 90hp (90ELPTO)...just removed my cowl to find where a dirt dauber type mud nest had fallen from the top cowl into the bottom cowl...appearently when I had the boat out running. now there is alabama red mud dust on the whole port side of the motor...and worse yet all in the 3 intake ports on the air box. i took the air box cover off and of course to it's also on the face plate (around the carb intakes). is this devestatingly bad or what? what am i looking at or how should i procede?

bigbroncoxlt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mud dust in intake

I'd clean all the dust that I could get to out of the engine. If it has done any damage there is no going back so get it all cleaned up and then check compression to see if any damage has been done. If compression is fairly even and within spec go have a nice time on the lake.

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any suggestions as far as cleaning the unaccessable areas (without dismantling). should I try like a decarb type proceedeure to get seafoam etc down into the intake manifold and in the cylinders?

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also could doing a compression test do any more damage if there is still dirt particles in the cylinder?...not that it matters much at this point

bigbroncoxlt

Seaman Apprentice

I would just get a can of carb cleaner and thoroughly rinse everything out that I could. I'd also probably start and run the engine if possible before doing the compression test just to burn or remove anything that may be in the cylinders, so it doesn't continue to gouge the walls while doing the test.