1960's johnson sea horse 10hp

bjammin422

Recruit
First of all, I'm not familiar with boat motors. I bought a Johnson 10hp with a pressurized tank a few weeks ago for my 12' v bottom aluminum boat. Me and my cousin took it out a few days later and ran it. We couldn't get the motor to idle. When we finally got it started we put it in gear and went. We didn't dare back off on the throttle because we didn't want it to stall. I'm wondering why it won't idle low. Does it have to do with the rich/lean mixture dials on the front of the motor? Also the last time I tried to take it out, I pulled the the rope out of the recoil. Is that something that's hard to fix?

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1960's johnson sea horse 10hp

I'm assuming you didn't buy an extended warrantee with your motor so you better get yourself an OMC service manual for your specific motor. I get them off eBay usually. If you go to the top of this forum there is a "Top Secret File". Have a good look at the articles there and I'm certain you will find it a big help. Can't help you with the recoil as I'm not familiar with yours. Best of luck. Rick.

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1960's johnson sea horse 10hp

i think the first thing we would suggest is to check compression in ur motor to see if its a acaully good motor. tell us the numbers. and hopely u didnt damge the recoil spring.

when i replace the rope in the recoil we suggest greasing it up too