Water leaking through transom plate

rdohack

Recruit
I have Volvo Penta GXI MPI DP Duo Prop. There is no room to see well even with mirrors but water is leaking in at a pretty fast rate. I have inspected the bellows and they look good. My shift cable is getting stiff. I cannot find any pictures of the inside seal. Is this a probable cause and can it be fixed without pulling the engine? Are there other possible causes. The boat has twins and there is little room for inspection and work. Thank You

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water leaking through transom plate

Could be exhaust connection at transom hsg. Could be transom hsg seal to transom. Could be shift cable tube.

I believe the shift cable "seal" on those is a hose with a pipe fitting on one end. The free end of the hose is above the water line with the cable coming out. Ssometimes an overheat wii damage the hose. Ssome can be done motor in many not.

Try putting your finger at the bottom of the transom hsg where it meets the gelcoat of the transom. Have a helper shake the drive up and down with considerable force. If you feel movement of the hsg in relationship to the transom it is not good.

James

rdohack

Recruit

Hi James,

Thank you for the reply. Is the y pipe a likely source. Looks like I'll be pulling a motor. Not something I look forward to. The stiff shift cable seems pretty telling. Unfortunately I cannot even see where the hose connects to the transom. I tried putting some putty on the outside where the cable goes through the transom and it did nothing to slow the flow.

Bondo

Staff member

I tried putting some putty on the outside where the cable goes through the transom and it did nothing to slow the flow.

Ayuh,... It always $uck$, but sometimes ya gotta do it the Right way.....