Mercury 500 water pump removal

NorthernBCguy

Recruit
Hi folks,

I need some info on how to get the water pump out of my 84 500. The manual got lost and I am don't want to break the housing. Do I need to take the lower part of the leg apart, or is it removed near the top ( under the motor housing?) and where do I find the bolts for this. I feel like a dummy since I work in a trucking shop, but this is my first entry into marine motors!!

ANY help you can provide will be appreciated!! thanks!!

Scoots

Cadet
Re: Mercury 500 water pump removal

I just picked up one of these myself, however, I don't know yet if it needs a new impellar. The removal should be the same as most others so you will need to remove the lower unit. There should be a nut on either side of the lower unit above the cavitation plate( the largest "fin" right above the prop. There is also a hole (as you are looking down at the lower unit) in the top of the lower unit which if you look down into it you will see a bolt that must also be removed, That bolt holds on the zinc plate above the prop. Once that plate is removed there should be another nut that was hiding under that plate. This , I believe, should be it. Be careful when removing the last nut/bolt as the unit may just fall and it's a little heavy so keep your fingers and toes out of the way. Before you do any of this, read some of the posts just prior to yours in regards to weather you should have the motor in neutral, forward or reverse. Good Luck !!