Mercruiser 233 ?what drive?

Tyablt

Recruit
I have a '77 Sea Ray SRV 200 with the Mercruiser 233. I am trying to figure what drive this. I have searched different forums and have gotten conflicting information. Some say Alpha while others pre-alpha #1. Serial # is 4641936. I believe its the #1 drive. Specifically I am looking for the lower shift cable. I believe I need Sierra #18-2158 or #18-2248. Also what is the difference between old style stranded core and new armored core? Also says support tube? I don't remember any 'support tube' when I pulled the old one. Any Info on the drive would be great (I have the engine figured out).

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 233 ?what drive?

Assuming it`s original the Series`1 has a lifting eye in the top cap,alpha style dosent.The series`1 cavitation edge is round, the alphas are squared off.
The armored core is a updated cable and is a lot better.
Sierra 18-2603 ,Mallory 972100. These are the full kits

Tyablt

Recruit

Thank you. As I thought I have the #1 drive. It does have the lifting eye. As far as the shift cable Sierra #18-2603 is listed for the Alpha I gen II and Mallory #9-72100 doesn't look like it has the correct gasket (assuming pic depicts actual kit). I have no oil reservoir. This brings me to another question. Are some, most, or all parts interchangeable from alpha I gen I to series #1? For instance, if i wanted to change gimbal ring from splined/ splined steering shaft to square/ splined shaft, could I use alpha I gimbal ring? Or would I have to get a 'special' conversion gimbal ring?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....Forget about anything listed for the Alpha 1, Gen.II,... It won't fit your drive....

Many parts, such as the lower shift cable, are up-dated for your drive,.. In other words, You use the Alpha 1 parts, such as the lower shift cable....

If your gimbel ring needs replacing,...
You either use a used ring from a model 1, or replace the Whole transom assembley with a used Alpha 1...

Tyablt

Recruit

Ok... Most Alpha 1 parts should fit my drive. That willl help with parts orders. Thanks for clearing that up.

As far as the gimbal ring goes (heres where my boating inexperience shows) I don't understand why I would need to change the whole transom assembly. I see many conversion kits on ebay and other sites where the only difference is instead of a splined gimbal ring it uses the square hole. These seem to be in abundance along with the square/ splined steering shaft. What am I missing? The square/ splined steering shafts are suppose to fit the bearings in the #1 transom assembly.......

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I'm guessing you have issues with steering slop?....
The cost of a new gimbal ring, shaft & steering arm would be high....
In order to replace the shaft you would most likely need to remove the gimbal housing/transom assembly anyway.....
I don't know what kind of kits you have seen, but I don't see it as an easy fix....
Much easier to get a whole, good used assembly of the same vintage from the sweetwater regions & just bolt it on.....
It will be cheaper & way easier in the long run....;)
Is your gimbal ring the screw in style of hinge pins or the older style with the stainless keeper pins?....