Need advice on buying first Pontoon

gpugh0501

Recruit
My husband and I are looking at a 2005 Crestliner Sport 1885 18' with 50hp engine. The asking price is 11K. Since we have never owned a boat, I am looking for suggestions on pricing, size of engine, and proper questions to ask before purchasing.
Thanks in advance for your advice. ;)

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Need advice on buying first Pontoon

Welcome to iboats.

A 4 year old 18' with a 50 for $11K, sounds a little high to me.

Prices vary widely depending on where you are in the country so for your market that could be right in there, look at other similar boats and see how it stacks up.

What are you wanting to do with this boat?

An 18 is fairly small and a 50 will move that boat but not alot more, maybe 12-18 mph, so if you want to entertain 12 freinds and ski or tube that won't work very well but if you just want to putter around it should be fine.

Toons are good boats, not alot to go wrong with them, I would have the engine looked at at a marina and they can tell you if it is good and you should run the boat in the water before you buy it just to be sure it is what you want and everything works as it should.

mike243

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 18' suntracker with a 50 , with 2 people & fishing gear i get about 20mph,no speed demon but very stable,easy on gas also ;) ,mike243

Jeep Man

Commander

I looked at 18' up to 22' when I was shopping. Not being familiar, I was surprised that some 18' units had as much useable space as some 20' units. My point is, see if the layout will work for you. A 50hp is quite reasonable for an 18, but it really depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I found a 20' with a 60hp suited my needs. You didn't mention a trailer. Is it included? If not, it can set you back another $1500-$3000 11K with the trailer is fair, but no bargain. Check the price of a new one of the same model and compare. Prices vary greatly from model to model, and what options you get.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

11K is probably his loan balance.