Front of the boat,or Rear,Who gets the Fish ??

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was just wondering who catches the most fish.The guy with the trolling moter in front?Or the guy that is always in the rear?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Front of the boat,or Rear,Who gets the Fish ??

In my case, even if I am sitting in back, I can have control of the bow trolling motor. The guy in the front gets to store and deploy it! I don't competitively fish so the goal is everyone in the boat is to catch fish. I would give the guest the bow, and provide them access to the first to fish spots. If that is making a significant difference, would probably switch up at different times. Also since I fish allot of rivers, its not hard to drift stearn first.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

the guy conrolin the motor is fishing less, because he is worring about where the boat is going.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I usually sit in the rear.My boat.But the guys I go out with,and we have been fishing for the last 20 years together,lol,always troll the boat at thier speed,go when they want to,have the best spots,take off when I am hung up,lol.Get my drift.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This last year it always seemed to be the one sitting at the helm on the starboard side (ME!) :p It also seemed I could call a fish bite, especially if I was trolling and in the middle of doing something that took my attention away from my rod (having a snack, lighting a smoke, etc).

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I really don't think it matters - at least in my boat. However, there is a truth that you stay hooked up to more fish when you have a rod in hand, and not in a holder. I missed a number of fish who thumped my rod pretty good but were gone by the time I got my hand on the rod.

On the other hand, we switch off running the trolling motor very seamlessly depending on who is busy landing a fish, re-rigging tackle, etc.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fish small mouths with a friend near Tahoe and he kicks my butt as he is running the trolling motor and usually gets first shot at the new holes as we cruise around...Back seat sucks but what the heck it"s just fishing...

HVSTRINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's nice to be up front plunkin' while some one else steers. Makes it easy to find the bites first!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Depends on what techniques are being used. If you are both throwing the same thing, there is probably a bias towards the front. If you are both throwing a spinnerbait, and the bass are going to hit a spinnerbait, very likely they will hit the first one that comes by. Now, if you get a short strike, the guy in the back may be able to pick up that fish.

Now, if y'all are throwing different baits, the tables have turned. If you are throwing a spinnerbait, and that particular bass ain't real interested in a spinnerbait, you aren't going to get it. But, lets say the guy in the back is throwing a Senko. If the bass is more interested in the slower presentation, your backseater is going to lay it on you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When my son is in the BOW, he catches more fish; when he is in the STERN, then he catches more fish.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

same thing with my daughter JB!!

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

the guy in the front, my buddies and i call the area of water behind the boat abf water (already been fished)!!!!!

ebry710

Ensign

Of equal skill and communicating well, the guy with the line in the water the longest catches more fish. Usually that would be the guy not messing with steering.

CATransplant

Admiral

Whichever is the better fisherman. Unless, that is, you're fishing a tournament with a pro. Then, the pro catches more fish or throws you out of the boat. :D

ebry710

Ensign

I'd rather be the back fisherman and let someone else do the driving. I can always be a back seat driver when needed.