Serious question

gonefishie

Commander
Does anybody hear any credible info on how this nasty little bug got started and how it infected the first host? All I have heard so far from the health dept. is that it's a combination of swine/bird/human and how you can't get it by eating bad pork. I am surprise that there isn't any wild speculation around yet. BTW, I'm not trying to start a speculating troll.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Serious question

You cannot get it from eating pork, even raw pork. You can't get it by eating bad humans or bad birds either.

Ummmm. I think wild speculation is here already.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You can't get it by eating bad humans or bad birds either
Jeez . . . Now JB has brought Morality into the discussion. Careful or I'll have to lock this :p :p :rolleyes: :eek:

Question: Is accusing JB of mucking up a thread riskier than posting a good blonde joke with LadyFish lurking?

Edko

Petty Officer 1st Class

3. When and where did it start?

The virus may have mutated into its current form months or even a year ago, and it happened, well, somewhere in the world.

The first symptoms started to show up in early March in the Mexican state of Veracruz, an area with a number of pig farms. The earliest confirmed case was a 5-year-old boy, one of hundreds of people in the town of La Gloria whose flu symptoms left them struggling to breathe.

People from La Gloria kept going to jobs in Mexico City despite their illnesses, and could have infected people there.

Still, there's no guarantee the virus came into existence in Veracruz. It spreads so easily, it could have made its way to Mexico from just about anywhere.

Some Mexican officials have offered some other suggestions of places where the virus may have begun, such as China, Pakistan or Bangladesh. But the fact is that the flu's origin remains a mystery.

Fortunately, it also doesn't really matter ? the outbreak has made its way around the world, and nothing can be done now at the point of origin to slow it down.

This was taken from an AP Q&A: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jh1L_vVQ1hK1bvnFG2u_tyWqouGAD97TI8H80

Since you are going to get opinions in this thread anyway, here's mine ;)

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the Pig farms and their sanitary conditions. There is a reason these companies have the farms in Mexico, where the health regulations are shall we say, lax.

But then again I could be wrong, and we may never be able to trace the origins. And frankly, considering hundreds die every day from seasonal flu's, I am trying to figure out what the big deal is. By all accounts, it isn't the big global mass killer the evening news heads are trying to make it out to be. But it's a real good story to generate mass fear with...

aspeck

Staff member

Jeez . . . Now JB has brought Morality into the discussion. Careful or I'll have to lock this :p :p :rolleyes: :eek:

Question: Is accusing JB of mucking up a thread riskier than posting a good blonde joke with LadyFish lurking?

It was nice knowing you, QC ... can I have your boat? ;):D

As to the swine flu, I heard they felt it started with a young boy in Mexico who lived in close proximity with pigs (tended them). Don't know if it is accurate, but that was what I had heard.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

No it wasn't! It was the egg! :D

(OK, OK, this probably qualifies as a post pad. I hereby revoke my own birthday for one year!)

QC

Supreme Mariner

And then you snort the sammich . . .

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

"The first symptoms started to show up in early March in the Mexican state of Veracruz, an area with a number of pig farms. The earliest confirmed case was a 5-year-old boy, one of hundreds of people in the town of La Gloria whose flu symptoms left them struggling to breathe.

People from La Gloria kept going to jobs in Mexico City despite their illnesses, and could have infected people there."

Our officials will not point their fingers at Mexico or the big corporate pig farming industries down there, that would'nt be neighbourly:rolleyes:

This strain of the swine flu virus has never ever been observed by health organizations from any part of the world. All of a sudden BOOM!...Com' on!

My opinion is, a Vaccination went rogue and mutated, possibly more than once, therefore this virus was initally manufactured.

Scary ain't it ?...Trust me it's not the first nor' will it be the last. You cannot believe everything these bozos and blowhards on TV say, the truth mostly lies in what is left unsaid.;);)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I just don't understand all the media hype. Well, on second thought, I do. There's nothing else to babble about.

But Momma's homemade flu killed 36,000 people last year. This new flu doesn't seem to be any more pestiferous than that.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I owe Gonefishie an apology. I misread his post to say that he heard you can get it by eating bad pork, not that you can't get it that way.

The "authorities", whomever they are, seem to me to be afraid that this flu, which we don't seem to be able to prevent or cure, will do what the 1918 flu epidemic did. . .kill more people than anything since the black plague.

Nevertheless, you cannot get it by eating pork or birds or even people. :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

You cannot get it from eating pork, even raw pork. You can't get it by eating bad humans or bad birds either.

Ummmm. I think wild speculation is here already.

But you can get something pretty darn bad from eating all of the above raw JB!:D

bigred69

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hate getting a bad human. Just ruins the whole evening:rolleyes:!

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well since I am a vegetarian I guess I won't worry about it and just go boating:D