Mariner 150hp Q's

strubby

Cadet
Hey guys, I'm going to look at a boat tonight and it will be my first boat. It's a '94 Key West 19' dual console with a 150hp Mariner outboard. I've never looked at an outboard closely so could I get a few tips to look it over? First I'll start it up, make sure it runs well. Then I wanted to check the compression. The boat is two hours away so I wanted to check everything right the first time. Anyone know what socket I'll need for the plugs and how many cylinders this motor will be? Hopefully I have the right size adapter for tester. Also, what readings should I expect from a healthy motor? I know the readings should all be close to each other. Any other tips? Thanks a lot.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mariner 150hp Q's

You will get plenty of help with this....but these are "my" suggestions. I believe you are looking for good compression of anything above 100, and all cylinders within max of 10 difference. Make sure you check the lower unit oil, and that there are zero metal shavings, also make sure the lower unit oil is NOT cloudy. Ask the owner when the last time any maintenance was done, when the last impeller was put in also. See if he will show any maintenance records also. You can also check the plugs to see if they have over heated at all or look old. I am sure more will come to mind shortly, also others will chime in soon. Good luck.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mariner 150hp Q's

the plug hole should be a standar 18mm, most testers come with this and 14mm. Just generally feel out the seller, does he know his boat? know what I mean? If he seems clueless about things he is either being deceptive or he really knows nothing and thereefore better have some maintenece records! If these things dont pan out, walk away. There are a TON of boats for sale man. Its only a few hours loss if this one isnt just the way you want it. Good luck, oh and jump up and down inside the boat and look at the owners face. That can tell you a lot!