1993 Johnson V4 88 SPL Lower Unit Shifting Issue

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After lots of other work to make my boat seaworthy, I am now stuck on one problem.

I am having problems getting the motor to go into reverse. Here is what was done leading up to this. I dropped the LU a few months back to replace the pump as well as seals. It was after the drop and install that I noticed the problem. Previous to this I knew the shift cable was in need of a change. Last week my throttle cable broke so I knew it was time to replace both cables. I replaced both throttle and shift cable last weekend. I also pulled the LU down and adjusted the shift rod out (counter clockwise) about 3 turns. I read a thread about the shift rod length possibly being the issue. Adjusted everything to work well outside of the water on the hose. Put it in water yesterday morning to test it and GREAT, REVERSE WORKS! Shifted a few times and it seemed great. Once to my destination went for reverse and BUMMER, GONE AGAIN! I tried to adjust the cable again to see if I could get it back and no luck.

Could the cable have stretched just enough from the original adjustment point to make it loose reverse again?

Does it sound like my shift rod length is short?

I did inspect the clutch dog and everything looked good, minimal metal on the magnets. Any help here would be great. Thanks for everyone's time on this.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 Johnson V4 88 SPL Lower Unit Shifting Issue

shift rod length should be 21 7/32 from flat edge of case to center of hole.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tashasdaddy, I checked my manual and it stated 21 27/32". Just want to verify I got it right in my manual. Thanks for the response.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've got to proof read better, you are correct.

maxman68

Recruit

I had the same problem, the teleflex cable that I got for my 48SPL the anchor for the cable end for the controller allowed the cable housing to slide too far in the controller.

mrhaney

Cadet

i to bought a 91 88 spl used ,it was stuck in forward gear and with cables disconnected you could get to shift in nuetral not reverse. a buddy suggested empty foot oil ,replace with marvel mystery oil ,and let set for a couple days and then ever so gently work the gear lever . after a couple more days of back in forth motion hooray we have reverse. hope this helps .btw don't forget to dump marvel mystery oil and replace with proper foot oil