bass boat leaks

tonytiger

Recruit
I took my 1988 Astroglas boat out today and I noticed a little water coming out after I removed the plug.Did the same thing last summer .I am new to boating and wonder if a little water is normal after such a short run about the lake?I might mention that the live well filled up with lake water as usual as I usually let it fill up.I just wonder if the live well plumbing is a little leaky?The lake was very calm,mild wind and slow to medium speed.I've not noticed any holes or cracks.

Any info is welcome, Tony

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: bass boat leaks

hi tony.....welcome to i boats!....

this is the best place on the net for answers,....

but it is also a really great place to make like minded friends.

the areas that you boat may be leaking are many.....(lastly the hull).

i would check all the live well fittings as you suspect.....another really common place for boats to leak is the hull/deck joint

cheers
oops

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Remove the bilge plug. Plug the livewell fill hole and fill the livewell with water. See if any water comes out of the bilge. If not, rock the boat to see if any water spills over the top of the livewell. A common problem in older bass boats. If it's still dry I'd start looking at the transom... is the drain plug dry rotted or loose? Is there a bunch of stuff screwed into the transom if so, was sealant used on the hardware?

tonytiger

Recruit

Opps,thanks for your reply.Guess there's a leak there samewhere as it is not nornal .The hull deck joint is that the area by the rubber bumper that goes around the boat? Has rope fastened in there also .

tonytiger

Recruit

Thanks CN Spots,There's probably a few screw holes in the transom that could use sealing.I'll try your idea by filling the live well also.I checked out all the dash instruments on the lake yesterday.The P-hole was working,had 5# or so at 2000 rpm. The speedo didn't but I had that problem last year;I think speedo is the least of my worries. Cheers Tony

tonytiger

Recruit

By the way,I moved the trailer bunk 5 inches yesterday to get more weight on the tounge as it had very little to start with. Moving it 5in now gives me about 100# tounge wt. I still hhave plenty of turning room. Also put the correct 2in. ball on ;the guy sold it to me with a smaller ball. That could have been a serious hazard and I bet he knew it and didn't warn me. Cheers Tony

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Never knew of a mechanical boat spedo that worked.;) Regarding the bunk moving... make sure that the bunks extend beyond the transom slightly or your boat could develop a hook (a depression in the bottom of the hull near the transom) that could wreak havoc on your performance. If your weight shifted then you must have moved the boat forward as well. If it was bad off balance then it could be that the PO performed some creative engineering on the trailer. I'd go over it with a fine toothed comb.