Oil Change

Roller

Cadet
I just bought my boat and its a 2002 Reinell wth a 5.0 L merc inboard and I,m just curious how you drain the oil out the back or what you do I havent really climbed down under there to have a look as it is kind of an aukword area so I though I would ask first.

Thanks for any helpful hints.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Change

Welcome aboard Roller!! I moved this over to the I/O section. You'll get the best answers here . . . ;)

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I'm betting that you have a oil dipstick with large threads on the top of the tube, this is for a handhelp pump to screw onto. You suction the old oil out. Its really a cleaner meathod and gets 99% of the old oil out, just do your best to make sure the oil pan is level by adjusting the attitude of the boat with the trailer jack.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

That handheld pump will be the best $15 you'll ever spend. I did an oil change on my boat in less than 20 minutes yesterday and didnt get dirty at all.

Make sure you are on a flat surface.

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a hand held pump for my 3.0, best thing since beer for oil changing.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forum.

If you trailer your boat, I like the remote oil drain hose (that's my name for it).

Basically, you will get dirty the first time, but after that, you are clean.

The kit will have a banjo type fitting that goes in place of the existing drain plug. It will have a length of hose attached to it that has another plug at the other end. When it's time to change the oil, you pull the hose out the drain plug at the back of the transome (the one you drain the water out of the bilge from). Once the hose is dangling out the drain hose, you unscrew the fitting at the end of the hose and direct the oil out to a bucket. This has the advantage of ensuring ALL the oil is drained from the engine, plus you are draining from the bottom, so you are ensuring you have gotten any crud that has settled to the bottom.

If you boat stays in the water, then the hand pump method mentioned before is your best bet.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Ken I use the hose too and love it. It is slow but if you open the the oil cap on the valve cover it does come out faster.

SeaVue

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks a lot Gary. Seems like a good idea. I'll give it a go. :D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks a lot Gary. Seems like a good idea. I'll give it a go. :D

If get the Napa one it is in their marine parts book.Made by Balkamp...;)
With the motor warmed up it works great.....

danfrompgh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not trying to hijack your post but I have a question on the same issue. My 5.0 has the regular old style dipstick tube not the screw on cap w the dipstick attached like some others. How far does the dipstick tube reach into the oil pan. Someone told me I could attach the suction tube from my oil drain pump directly to the tube and remove my oil. The directions from my pump say to insert the pump tube into the dipstick tube to remove the oil which didn't work so well last year.
Boats coming out of storage next week....finally :D

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^ Those type of dipstick tubes usually dont go into the pan at all, stick the pumps little tube into the dipstick tube.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, weve got a pump where you just stick the hose all the way down into the dip stick hole and pump away. Usually we bottom the hose out on the bottom of the pan then lift it up just a hair so we know were sucking off the bottom.

Got my pump at harbor freight. Its not the best in the world but it was only $30 or so. It has two sections of hose. The first hose was too big and thin so it would suck together from the vacuum. The hose that went down into the dip stick was nice and thick so I cut the thin hose off and put the thick hose right on the pump... Works great. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45403

45403.gif

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone have a picture of the pump that 'screws' to the top of the dipstick tube?

Even though I normally use the hose that is attached to my oil pan, I am considering using the dipstick method....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Does anyone have a picture of the pump that 'screws' to the top of the dipstick tube?

Even though I normally use the hose that is attached to my oil pan, I am considering using the dipstick method....

Same threads as a garden hose...any hardware store has the ends for a couple bucks each...

Roller

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the help I will pick up parts and pump to give it a try!:)