Where to tap for Automatic Charging Relay

asautt

Cadet
I have a '90 17' Arima with a '91 70 HP Johnson. As part of electrical upgrade I am installing a Blue Sea Systems automatic charging relay. ACR will be mounted back close to the motor. It needs a sense wire tapped in somewhere between the start switch and the starter solenoid. Wondering where would be the best place to tap in for the sense line. Run a wire from the switch in the control box back to the switch? Run a wire from the solenoid?

BTW, I don't have the boat here right now to check out possibilities. Hope to get her back within the week and am trying to get some jobs planned out.

Alan

45Auto

Commander
Re: Where to tap for Automatic Charging Relay

I put a Blue Sea ACR (#7610) in my boat 2 years ago. One of the most convienient things I ever did. Had several friends install them after they saw how well mine worked.

The wire you're talking about is the optional starter isolation wire. The starter isolation and LED indicator wire are both optional. Run the wire from where ever it's easiest. Either straight from the starter solenoid or tie into the wire going to the solenoid, as long as it's only hot when the boat is cranking. You really don't need the starter isolation wire, it works fine without it. Mine is used on a 425HP 8.1L big block, starting that doesn't bother it at all.

I did install a green LED indicator (the other optional wire) on my dash connected to the ACR. As long as it's lit up I know both batteries are charging. If it ever starts blinking it means one of the batteries is dead (the ACR won't connect if one of the batteries is below the threshold voltage, to keep it from discharging the good battery).

45Auto

Commander

Deleted, double post for some reason!

asautt

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The last boat I had liked to drop out the GPS when you cranked the engine. That is the main reason I want to hook up the disconnect when starting feature.

Alan