Fuel Smell in Ski Storage

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice
If I leave the ski storage door closed on my deckboat while parked in the garage it smells of fuel. The fuel cell appears to be in the compartment aft of the ski storage. I can touch the plastic tank by sticking my finger into the aft drainhole in the ski storage compartment.

Is this 'normal'? Where is the fuel tank vent likely to be? Could its location be the reason for the smell?

Thanx in advance!!

Michael

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Smell in Ski Storage

Vent is external to the hull, typically has a small mesh screen over the hole, while water drains will not. Definitely not normal, you gotta find it . . .

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yepppp.....you have a fuel leak.....this is serious.

an explosion could occure if its not fixed.

the reaso we have blowers is so if any errant gas fumes are in the motor compartment, they can be sucked out by the blower.....

the blower is not very effictive in your ski locker !...if any kind of spark hits the fumes......ka boom.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Scary indeed. You just have to find the source and get it fixed. Safety first.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Don't assume a leak just yet.

You did say that the tank is plastic. Plastic tanks do pass gas right through the wall of the tank. This is the nature of plastic fuel tanks. Granted, it is not much, and under normal circumstances it is never enough to notice, but if the tank is sitting still in an enclosed area like a garage, the minute amount of fuel vapor could collect over a period of time to the point where it can be smelled.

So, I would check for vent blockage, and fuel fill plate seals being good, as suggested by others. If everything checks out, then vent the compartment for a few days, and then check it daily for the smell of fuel. The fuel permeation through the tank wall will not be enough for you to detect it on a daily basis. If you do continue to smell fuel, then there is most likely a leak. Could be as simple as a bad gasket on the fuel sender or cracked fill or vent hose. Or the tank may shift and wear through the plastic.

BTW, I have NEVER read of anyone having a plastic tank develop a leak (except for the occasional mistake with a saw while cutting up a deck). So the chances of the tank cracking or somehow developing a leak without being punctured or cut is slim. Check for leaks at all the mechanical connections first. Although there is always the chance that there was a defect in the manufacturing of the tank, but ALL tanks must pass a pressure test before being released for sale, so that reduces the chance of bad molded tanks from hitting the market.

Have you screwed anything to the boat lately???

bear_69cuda

Commander

I agree with Mark,

On certain days I have a faint smell of fuel in my ski locker and bilge as well, I can't find a leak anywhere... The plastic is semi permeable and some of this solvent (fuel) can vaporise if the tank has pressure due to temp changes, and vapor will pass through the tank wall... Not much but it can collect and be smelled... Some times I smell nothing, but when the garage is heated I notice it more often. Id still check it out thoroughly!

fessler74

Recruit

I have the exact same deal with my Tahoe. I just bought it and was concerned about the smell. Took it to the shop and they gave it the twice over and found no sign of a leak or any issues with the vents/hoses. I only get the smell in the ski locker, not the engine compartment, and only after a while of being covered.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto with the Scout. Plastic tank amidship, just forward of the ski locker and I do smell some vapour sometimes when the hatch is opened. Dealer couldn't find anything and because the tank is up front, any leaking fuel would run right thru the locker. It's always bone dry. I'm not as freaked out because I've got an outboard but there is my bilge pump way down at the back in the same air space. Going to go over it all again at spring launch anyway. I'm not convinced my filler or vent hoses aren't cracked.
I'm slightly encouraged that it seems to be something others have noticed with plastic tanks.

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice

I am currently nursing a broken rib. When I am feeling better I plan to look into the fill and vent hoses. I remember seeing two hoses running out of the tank up to the hull but no vent on the outside, only the fuel filler cap.

Unlike scouts tank, mine is between the ski locker and enine compartment so leaking fuel from the tank would go straight back to the bilge. Because I keep the engine compartment hatch opened when in storage I never smell fuel there. I may also try closing it for a time to see if the smell developes there.

Should I be expecting cracked/deteriorated fuel components in a 5 year old boat?

Michael

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Should I be expecting cracked/deteriorated fuel components in a 5 year old boat?

Michael

No! The hoses should still be in good condition. Good luck with the rib!

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice

No! The hoses should still be in good condition. Good luck with the rib!

Thanx!

I made it out to look today. After keeping the ski locker opened for 2 days I can still get the definate smell. I looked and the tank definately has two hoses coming from it. One is about 1 1/2" in diameter (filler hose) and the other is about 5/8" in diameter (vent hose). They both go to the fuel filler, a Perko type like this. The vent line is covered in 1/4" white spots that look like mould.

The engine compartment has absolutely no smell, in fact, no other compartment, including the compartment with the fuel lines smells. I scrubbed the ski locker with ****-n-Span and rinsed it thoroughly. That was yesterday. I returned today and the smell is there. Either I have a fuel problem which is only venting fumes into the locker or it is something else I am smelling (cleaner or other chemical).

Thoughts?

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Open all compartments, when you get in line to put in boat. you can close them after you have started and iddiling out. Know where your fire extingisher is!

gss036

Commander

You probably have a small leak, they smell of gas hangs around a long time if soaked into wood or foam.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

There's a similar problem with the 1999 Chris Craft I'm planning to buy- odor in the fuel compartment. My surveyor has been over everything. Hoses are in good shape, no sign of any leaks, but he did note that the compartment was very poorly ventilated.

If you google "plastic fuel tank permeability", there's a lot of implication that fuel vapors will pass through. I haven't found anything (yet) that says flat out that it will cause a noticeable odor in an enclosed space, but I think the implication is there. Anyway, here's one link...

http://books.google.com/books?id=eu...=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#PRA3-PA275,M1

It's from THE BOAT MECHANICAL SYSTEMS HANDBOOK by David Gerr. I couldn't copy the whole paragraph but he's referring here to the fuel tank compartment

"Many plastic gasoline fuel tanks have sufficient permeability to require natural ventilation"

My surveyor suggested that I figure out a way to ventilate the compartment better, but he wasn't concerned about using the boat once we had the inspection hatch open for a few minutes.

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice

Thanx JoLin! I have a feeling that the vapors (if they are fuel) are getting into the locker via a gap between the deck and hull at the top of the aft locker bulkhead. Everything else is sealed off in the locker. If the vapors were getting in via the aft drainhole I would expect them in the engine compartment via the 3" inspection hole over the tank in the aft tank bulkhead. This inspection hole is for dataplate inspection. Is it a USCG requirement to be able to see the dataplate?

I have to wonder if any other Starcraft or Vectra boats out there using a similar hull design are having the same issue?

I am going to carefully inspect the fuel vent and fill lines and verify that the vent in the filler is functioning. I already cleaned and flushed the compartments (ski locker and tank) and no fuel is/was visible in either compartment.

To be absolutely safe I have purchased a FIREBOY-Xintex M-2A Fuel Vapor Alarm. After placing the sensors in both the engine compartment and ski lockers I should at least know when I have to be concerned. I can also verify with them that what I am smelling is in fact fuel and not just some other chemical used by the previous owner. I think that these are terriffic little ~second chance~ devices every boat should have. I purchased two of them at a great price. If anyone else wants one for about half price let me know.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I am going to carefully inspect the fuel vent and fill lines and verify that the vent in the filler is functioning. I already cleaned and flushed the compartments (ski locker and tank) and no fuel is/was visible in either compartment.

To be absolutely safe I have purchased a FIREBOY-Xintex M-2A Fuel Vapor Alarm. After placing the sensors in both the engine compartment and ski lockers I should at least know when I have to be concerned. I can also verify with them that what I am smelling is in fact fuel and not just some other chemical used by the previous owner. I think that these are terriffic little ~second chance~ devices every boat should have. I purchased two of them at a great price. If anyone else wants one for about half price let me know.

That's terrific advice, Span- I completely agree that one MUST keep a close eye on hoses, vents and the condition of the tank. In my case, the odor is absolutely confined to the fuel compartment- there's NO sign of it in the engine compartment (aft of the tank) or mid-berth (forward of the tank). I hadn't even thought of fuel vapor alarms, but glad you did! Once I own the boat I'll look to do the same thing in both thiose places.

You just eased my mind quite a bit. Thanks!