Quick questions regarding a test drive I did on a used boat..

roanoke4

Cadet
I test drove a '03 Bayliner boat today at a dealer (135hp 3.0L mercruiser) that otherwise performed well except for in two areas. First, at speeds above 30mph, it pulled badly to one side. The dealer said that is no big deal...its due to the prop spin and afterwords he showed me this triangle looking thing just above the prop which you can adjust to straighten it out. I took his word for it because at lower speeds it didn't pull at all. Second, the boat kept stalling out at very low/neutral speeds, but in neutral or fast speeds it performed just great. He told me it was simply due to bad gas (it hadn't been used since last summer) and they would siphon the gas out. I of course took what he said with a grain of salt, but given the engine ran well otherwise perhaps that indeed is the case.

With all that in mind, does the above sound normal to you or should I proceed with caution and have the boat thoroughly checked out? Any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quick questions regarding a test drive I did on a used boat..

I'd have them siphon the gas out and put fresh in and test it again. if it is better then you are good to go but I would have it checked out also.

roanoke4

Cadet

I'll do that but what are your thoughts about it pulling to one side? Is that pretty typical, in which a simple adjustment is needed, or perhaps might it be a bigger problem?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

That small thing you are referring to is known as a "trim tab" per the MerCruiser manual. That could help, but there might be other issues. I would simply have them straighten that out, siphon the bad gas as previously mentioned, and give it another test run. If they straighten it out and the boat still pulls, you know there is another issue, however, probably nothing major. Listen for grinding at high speeds when turning.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

my outboard pulls to the right all the time. I've been told that it is just the prop torque causing it to pull to the right

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

The newer Bayliners are fairly nice boats.
The 3.0L engine is a really nice engine. quite reliable and pretty fuel efficient.

If this is a dealer, they should be willing to show you when the engine AND drive was serviced last.

Make it a condition of the deal that they service the engine AND THE DRIVE (oils, raw pump, bellows if needed etc.)

The trim tab IS no big deal. You want to set it so that you have no pull at normal cruising speeds.....(not WOT) It's a VERY common characteristic of boats without power steering.

Are they a Mercruiser dealer?

Cheers,

Rick

roanoke4

Cadet

no its actually a car dealership that also sells a few boats due to its location near the water. The boat was a repo and thus I was able to get a good deal on it ($6900 for an '03 1950 classic), and overall the boat looks/runs really nice, but I just want to make completely sure all is well before finishing the deal. Unfortunately they won't let me take the boat off premise due to insurance/liability issues, but they will let me bring in a mechanic to check it out if I wish. The problem is, the location is about 1 1/2 hours away from me. Maybe I'll call a local mechanic there tomorrow and have him inspect it for me?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

They KNOW this is a pretty dead market for boats and other vehicles.

Go to a Mercruiser dealer and get a written estimate for yearly service to include bellows replacement.

Make your best deal and tell them that it needs serviced by a Mercruiser dealer or any marine dealer that will do the REQUIRED service (unless they can prove that it was done)

Or, reduce the offer to cover the estimate. They'll probably take it.

There's a Zillion boats out there for sale. Marine dealers are going out of business..... People aren't buying boats these days..... Also, check the NADA wholesale value of the boat. That dealer probably has less than HALF in it of what they're asking for it.

Regards,

Rick

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking at NADA, not knowing what options the boat has, without entering any data, average retail is 6050. It should be in excellent condition for 6900.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Skip any boat being sold by a used car lot that does not perform 110%. They are used car dealers... not boat dealers.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

3.0 is too a small an engine for a 1950.

I had an 1850 and I repowered it to a V6. The 3.0 was annoying. You'd be driving into a head wind and the boat would slow and labor. I hate underpowered boats. The 3.0 had to be 100% tuned every minute of every trip...and if it dropped to 98% I'd immediately feel the loss and start doing all this troubleshooting in my head while the family was trying to enjoy the outing.

Second, the boat kept stalling out at very low/neutral speeds,
could be a worn out or plugged up Mercarb

Any used boat can need a carb rebuild with todays gas...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I replaced a 3.0L engine in a (I think)1994 2050 Capri in August with a longblock from US Engines in Kent, Wa.

It ran ok with 2 of us in it. It was no hotrod but the owner has had the boat for about 10 years and he was happy with the performance. If it had been mine I would have put a 5.0 or 5.7 V-8 in it. but it ran ok with the 3.0l in it. (I'm surprised you could buy it with a 3.0 though)

The owner told me it was REALLY good on fuel.

Of course if I compared it to my 211 Liberator.....I would be disappointed......

I would probably buy the boat but I would tell them that it needs to have REQUIRED drive and engine service and and low-ball them.....

When you do low ball them, make one offer, turn around and walk away. If they want to sell it, they'll deal...

It's probablywill be slightly underpowered. The 2050 Capri I repowered did about 35 mph after I put the engine in...... The owner told me that it ran just it always did (he bought it about 2 years old I think)

Regards,

Rick

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My advice as a new boat owner:
do NOT settle for a boat that feels less than perfect or buy a boat assuming what any dealer tells you is right. especially if they are not a boat dealer.

I have heard far too many true stories, and had personal experience, about lies by salesmen and purchases that turn out to be lemons. Like bamadave said, their asking price is above nada. depending on what else comes with the boat this could or could not be a fair price. We learned its extremely hard to judge a boats value based on NADA, it can be very very inaccurate on the going rate of a given boat.

Basically, get a test run with the boat in A+ shape, and have all service records and a full agreement before checking out the dotted line. Like others said, if the dealer says this is the problem, have him fix that problem and test it again until you like what you see. If anything in you is saying "ehhhhh", pass it up. It took us nearly a year to get our boat, but I could not stress enough how glad I am a listened to the advice of "theres a million boats out there and another one will come up". For months it seemed we would never get what we wanted, but it paid off better than I could have imagined.

IMO: the engine is really small for that boat. this is not what you asked....but just make sure you know what you are getting. Only trying to help.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

-CUBE-

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About the thing pulling. I used to have a 5.0 with alpha 1 with no power steering on an old 17' ski boat. I used to bring an allen wrench with me and adjust it for the conditions. How much weight in the boat, what speed I'm spending most of the day at, and if I'm pulling a skier or not. It's just how a non power steering boat it. I actually like it.

Steve