Shift cables adjustment

Durimar

Cadet
Hi everyone! I've recently got my first boat (an old lady with pre-Alpha M165 outdrive and Merc 165 inline-6 engine). I had to replace the outdrive with the new one and readjust the shifting cables. It shifts in and out of gears but I get this nasty grinding noise when shifting in gear. Is this normal? Is engine cutout switch for switching out only or it should be engaging when switching in also? Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shift cables adjustment

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

The shift switch is Only for coming Out of gear...
From your discription,...
Try shifting in a very Brisk manner,.... Alphas/ Pre-Alphas just Don't like to be Eased into gear....

Durimar

Cadet

Thanks for the info! I tried shifting fast and it still makes noise when shifting but this time it's quick "grr". I guess It's just the way it works then..

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I agree with bondo.... that's the way to shift them... fast.
1 thing you may want to check though... what is your idle rpm both in and out of gear?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you adjust the shift cable "By the Book" or how you thought it should be adjusted.
Might want to head up to the Adults Only stick and download the manuals for your enigne and drive, and check the adjustments.
There is also a link there on how that system is supposed to work and why.

Another reason for lots of grinding, even if shifting quickly, is too high an idle rpm. Really hard on the shift dogs with that ratcheting.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The "adults only" title to that sticky thread needs to be changed. It doesn't mean anything relevant to the content. Not to a casual reader.

Durimar

Cadet

Don, I did everything by the book (yes, the adult section was the first thing I looked at =). My RPMs at idle are about 1100 - 1300. Do you think it's too high? How do I adjust that? Maybe a tune up will help?

Bondo

Staff member

My RPMs at idle are about 1100 - 1300. Do you think it's too high?

Ayuh,... Spec is 600/ 700rpms at idle, in gear, in the water....

ziggy

Admiral

here's a interesting vidio. might help understand why ya need the rpms down low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuAcrDFvApA&feature=related

i'm down on 5-600 idle right now. if i shift reaall slow i can make it ratchet. but if i make a snappy shift. it just goes clunk and is in gear..

if ya've not done a tune up, by all means, do one... dwell first, timing 2nd. set everything to spec. to comply with the book.. the book also will tell you how to adj. idle speed...

Durimar

Cadet

Thanks a lot! I'll put some work on the engine then.